Syracuse Hancock International Airport (SYR)
Riders at SYR can request rides with Uber when leaving the airport. Learn how to receive these trip requests and get in on the action.
SYR Regulations for drivers
Per SYR regulations, drivers must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber driver app must be open at all times (drivers must not go Offline until exiting the airport area)
- You may be asked to show your waybill. To access it, tap the “Info” button in your app.
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
There's a special first vehicle in is the first one out (FIFO) system at SYR. The FIFO system only works within the designated, geofenced area and drivers waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Driver app.
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, follow the in-app navigation to the designated pickup area for rideshare. There is one pickup area located next to Terminal A and one located next to Terminal B.
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with SYR, riders can be dropped off at the Terminal door of their choosing. If you would like to receive a trip request after dropping a rider off, you’ll need to keep the Uber driver app on.
Riders at SYR may request their trip from one of two designated pickup areas. In order to receive these requests, drivers must wait in the designated waiting area.
1) Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
2) Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect Driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
3) Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
4) Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
5) Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
6) Making music optional: While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!