Information for driver-partners
When driving at OAJ, Learn how to receive these trip requests and get in on the action.
Pro tips for Uber partners
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
- Driver partners may be asked to show their waybills. To access it, they can tap the “info” button that appears in the Driver app.
How pickup requests work
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Uber’s technology uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone.” You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
The FIFO zone covers all airport grounds, as shown in the map below.
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue.
- If there are no driver-partners in the FIFO zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area outside of the FIFO zone—based on proximity and other factors.
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber driver app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel multiple rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at the airport is located at the departures level (see map below).
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
At the airport, riders can be dropped off at the departures level. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
OAJ pickup map
Helpful tips for airport trips
1. Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule: Checking the arrivals schedule at Albert J. Ellis Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See OAJ's arrivals schedule.
5. Making music optional: While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late-night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!