Jacksonville is not only Florida’s most populous city, it’s also the largest city by land area in the contiguous United States. That means this sprawling and bustling city needs an airport that can keep up, and Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) is very much up to the task. With just over 92,000 takeoffs in landings last year, JAX is a busy facility indeed.
Jacksonville has almost 750 square miles of land, so getting around isn’t always easy. Fortunately, Uber’s got you covered. uberX is on hand for your day-to-day travel needs. If you need more space, uberXL and UberSUV are always an option. Or if luxury’s what you’re looking for, UberSELECT can take you there in style.
No matter how you get around, here are some other helpful things to know about JAX:
Resources and Tips for Jacksonville International Airport
- Uber Airport Pages: If it’s your first time at JAX, don’t worry: Uber page for JAX has everything you need to know about getting to or departing from Jacksonville’s airport. Just open the app, select which type of Uber you want, and make sure you’ve selected the right pickup location. FYI: all pickups happen curbside on the baggage claim level.
- Terminal Maps: JAX is a busy airport, and it pays to know where you’re heading before you get there. Take a look at a terminal map before you arrive. It can pay off, even if it’s not your first time flying into or out of JAX.
- Wait Times: Wondering when to call an Uber to the airport? Don’t forget to factor in the wait time at the security checkpoint.
- Flight Status: Don’t let a delay derail your day. Check out the FAA’s real-time flight status updates to plan your travel more effectively.
- TSA Guidelines: Even if you’re a veteran air traveler, it pays to check the TSA’s guidelines on what you can and can’t fly with.
- Traffic: A city the size of Jacksonville has plenty of traffic, so plan ahead. Check Jacksonville’s First Coast News for the latest updates on accidents, delays, and detours.
- News: Want the latest updates (and some great pics) from JAX? Their Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, and YouTube profiles have plenty to share.
- Weather: It’s usually sunny and warm in “The Bold New City of the South,” but better safe than sorry. The Weather Channel can tell you whether or not to pack your board shorts or your galoshes.
- Fun Fact: JAX is also home to the 125th Fighter Wing of the Florida Air National Guard.
Where to Visit in Jacksonville
Whether it’s your first time visiting J-Ville (as it’s affectionately known to locals), or your tenth, there’s always something new and different in store. Here are a few key attractions you won’t want to miss in Florida’s largest metropolis:
- Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens: If you’re feeling the desire for arts and culture, your first stop should be the Cummer Museum. A fine collection awaits you at the Cummer, including masterworks of American and European painting. The museum also boasts many examples of Meissen porcelain, as well as 2.5 acres of exquisitely designed gardens.
- Black Sheep Restaurant: Hungry? Then you shouldn’t miss the Black Sheep Restaurant. Featuring a menu stocked with Southern favorites, as well as new and innovative dishes, the Black Sheep is located in Jacksonville’s historic Five Points Neighborhood and is within walking distance of a number of other attractions and nightspots.
- Jacksonville Fire Museum: Every child loves firetrucks—and plenty of adults do, too. No matter the age of your traveling companions, the Jacksonville Fire Museum has something for everyone. Its artifacts detail the history of fire service not only in Jacksonville, but of Florida as a whole. While it closed for renovations in 2016, it’s expected to reopen in spring 2017 with plenty to see for the whole family.