Skip to main content

Tell us your location

Please enter your nearest city name to help us display the correct information for your area

Select your language

Get authorised

Regional New Zealand

The New Zealand government requires all driver-partners using the Uber app hold a Passenger Endorsement card and Certificate of Fitness for their vehicle(s), and download the Logmate app. Here's how you can get the required authorisations as quickly as possible.

Authorisation process overview

Get started


Sign up online

Tell us about yourself and your vehicle, if you have one. If you don’t, we may be able to connect you with vehicle solutions providers.


Upload documents

We’ll need you to visit a Greenlight Hub to upload some documents, including your driver’s licence, vehicle insurance and, if you don’t have your own Small Passenger Service Licence (SPSL), to pick up a Transport Service Licence (TSL) card to display in your vehicle.

Note: Greenlight Hubs are available in select cities only. Visit your city's Contact page to find out how to get in touch with us.


Get authorised

New Zealand regulations require you to hold a Passenger Endorsement card, get a Certificate of Fitness are comply with your work time requirements in order to drive using the Uber app.

Steps in detail

Getting authorised

Complete the Sign-up form

To drive with Uber in New Zealand, you’ll need to complete the Driver Partner Sign-up form.

Before you apply for a P Endorsement

When you submit your P endorsement application to an NZTA agent, you will also need to provide a medical certificate completed by a New Zealand registered medical practitioner confirming you are medically fit to drive. This is a requirement to obtain or renew your P endorsement.

Medical certificate

To obtain a medical certificate, visit your doctor and ask them complete a NZTA medical certificate (DL9). You will need to bring a copy of your completed medical certificate with you when you submit your P Endorsement application to an NZTA agent (AA or VTNZ).

Apply for a P Endorsement

Once you have your medical certificate (DL9), you're ready to fill out the P Endorsement application. You can print a P Endorsement application or pick one up at a NZTA agent (AA or VTNZ).


Submit your completed P Endorsement application and medical certificate to an NZTA agent (AA or VTNZ).

The NZTA may require you to provide additional documents, such as proof of your entitlement to work in New Zealand or an International criminal history check as part of the P Endorsement application process. Refer to the section below for details.

P Endorsement additional checks

Right to work confirmation

In order to be a small passenger service driver, you need to have the right to work in New Zealand. The NZTA will confirm this as part of the P Endorsement application process, and in certain circumstances may require you to provide proof of your right to work in New Zealand.

International criminal history check

As part of the P endorsement application process, if you've lived in any one country (apart from New Zealand) for 12 months since the age of 14 you will need to provide to the NZTA a criminal history check for each country you have lived in. In many cases, Uber can help you in obtaining and submitting this documentation to the NZTA. This information is requested on your behalf once you have completed your sign-up form.

Upload to your Uber account

Once you receive your P Endorsement, upload an image of it to your Uber account.

Getting a Certificate of Fitness

A Certificate of Fitness (COF) is a regular check to ensure that your vehicle meets required safety standards for carrying passengers. Go to an approved Agent, like VTNZ, AA and VINZ and provide Uber's TSL (#0315707) to have a COF issued for compliant vehicles.

Some helpful tips about obtaining a COF:
  • If you have a hatchback vehicle or station wagon, you may need to have a means to secure cargo in your boot. Cargo nets are a cost effective solution that can be purchased at auto retailers like SuperCheap Auto and Repco
  • You may need to complete a change of vehicle use form and purchase a child lock safety sticker when you get your COF

Transport Service Licence (TSL) Label

A TSL label is the label you must display in the bottom right hand corner (passenger side) of your windscreen to show you are licenced to provide small passenger services, the type of TSL used for ridesharing in New Zealand.

To drive as a driver-partner on the Uber Driver App, you can either drive under Uber’s Small Passenger Service Licence (SPSL) or your own.

If you do not hold your own SPSL, and you meet the requirements to drive, Uber will provide you with a TSL Label. Visit a Greenlight hub or contact support to obtain a TSL Label. Once you have it, take a picture of your label and upload it to your Uber profile.

On the road

Regulatory requirements

Record your work time

As a holder of a P endorsement, you will need to comply will all work time related rules including recording your work time through an NZTA approved Logbook.

All driver-partners who do not hold their own Small Passenger Service licence (SPSL), must use Logmate to record their work time and become an active on the Uber driver-app

You will receive an email from Logmate inviting you to register for an account under Rasier Operations BV (Uber) once the NZTA has approved your P endorsement application and you've obtained a Certificate of Fitness.

Driver-partners who hold their own SPSL and upload the corresponding TSL label are able to use any NZTA approved means,to record their work time.


Display your SPSL Label

Display your Small Passenger Service Licence Label (SPSL Label) on the lower left hand side of your windshield while driving using the Uber app. This indicates that you are a compliant small passenger services operator. If you do not have a SPSL label, please visit a Greenlight hub or contact support to obtain one.

Start making money with Uber

Sign up now