Order accuracy is key to a great customer experience. However, we know that sometimes supply chain issues and unexpected demand can lead to items being out of stock when a customer places an order.
When an item isn’t available, the next best thing you can do is replace the original item with something of a similar quality and price. Use the Uber Eats Orders app to select replacements from your catalog.
Tips to ensure a good replacement experience
Customers want to receive good quality replacements that are similar to the original item they ordered. A poor replacement can often create a customer experience that is just as bad as not receiving the item altogether.
There are a few things you can do to improve customer satisfaction with the replacement items they receive:
- Use search to find a suitable replacement – If a customer does not select a preferred replacement, the Uber Eats Orders app will show you a list of recommended replacement items. If none of these appear suitable, you can search your entire Uber Eats menu for a better replacement option.
- Expand your Uber Eats range to include more replacement options – For items that are in high demand or frequently out of stock, we recommend having multiple similar items on your Uber Eats menu so that you can provide a good substitute. For example, consider listing a few different types of milk or different brands of toilet paper.
Top categories for out-of-stock items
In May 2022, the top out-of-stock grocery categories and items were:
- Household goods, including tissues, toilet paper and paper towels
- Fruit, such as mandarins and strawberries
- Meat, in particular chicken breast and sliced ham
- Bakery items, including sliced bread, crumpets and croissants
- Ready to eat meals
- Dairy products, particularly milk, cheese and cream
- Frozen goods, particularly ice cream and frozen chips
Consider expanding your Uber Eats range in these categories so you can provide your customers with a good replacement option if an item they order is out of stock!