As part of our ongoing efforts to make Uber better for drivers, we’re very excited to announce a partnership with the Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed (IPSE), giving drivers access to a range of benefits and protections.
Thanks to this partnership, drivers using the Uber app in the UK will now be able to get access to a range of benefits including illness and injury cover.
Uber is making a significant contribution towards the cost, with drivers who choose to join the scheme paying just £2 a week (the package is worth £8 a week). Uber is the first private hire operator in the UK to invest in an offer of this kind for drivers.
Summary benefits from joining the scheme include:
- Sickness and injury cover of up to £2,000 if unable to drive for two weeks or more
- Jury service cover of up to £2,000
- Access to free advice and support on paying tax as well as personal finance issues such as mortgages, pensions and saving for the future
- Occupational accident cover of £300 per week for up to 52 weeks – if an accident takes place during a trip or while logged into the Uber app
- Accidental death or permanent total disablement cover of £50,000 – if an accident takes place during a trip or while logged into the Uber app
- Drivers will become members of IPSE – the largest organisation representing the interests of the self-employed community
Today’s announcement follows the launch of a number of initiatives in February following feedback from thousands of drivers, including Earnings Advice Sessions, discounted access to savings products such as pensions and ISAs, and free skills courses.