Your safety is our priority. That’s why we’ve introduced identity verification to help us ensure it’s the right person getting on the road.
Take a real-time photo of yourself
We may ask you to take a real-time photo of yourself via the app before you go online or between deliveries. This is to help us verify that the account is yours, and is being used by you or an appointed substitute.
- Ensure your face and neck fits inside the white lines
- If you’re wearing a helmet, make sure to remove it
- Hold your phone steady to avoid blurriness
- Make sure your profile photo is up to date by contacting Support
- If you’ve changed appearance, for example by growing out a beard or dyeing your hair, please let Support know
You must take a real-time selfie, not a photo of an existing photo – otherwise you risk losing access to your account.
How photos are reviewed
You can choose to verify your photo by either a photo-comparison software or by human review.
- If you choose the software, your photo will be shared with Microsoft, which compares it to your profile by creating a mathematical representation of both images. Microsoft deletes this data within 24 hours.
- If you choose a human review, your photo will be reviewed by Uber specialists. The specialist compares the real-time photo with photos you have previously uploaded to confirm your identity.
See more information here.
What happens next
- If the real-time photo is of you, or a substitute you have already appointed and told us about, your verification should go smoothly and you’ll be able to go online. The review usually only takes a few minutes to complete.
- If the real-time photo doesn’t look like the person in your profile photo and you have not told us that you are using a substitute or you have changed your physical appearance, we will assume you are using a new substitute and you will be asked to submit the details of the person performing deliveries on your behalf within 24 hours. Your substitute will then be asked to complete a background check screening. It is important that throughout this process you follow the Substitution Policy (which can be found here), otherwise you may lose access to your account.
How do I appoint a substitute?
At any point during the delivery process, you may choose to have someone else deliver on your behalf. If you choose to do this, you should keep in mind that you are still fully responsible for all activities performed on your account, either by you or by your substitute.
If you use a substitute, you don’t have to tell us beforehand, but you must let us know within 24 hours after the completion of the first delivery with any new substitute. Failure to do so may result in losing access to your account.