Uber has a designated driver-partner waiting area and pick-up zone at Darwin Airport.
- The Airport has a specific waiting area for driver-partners to queue in whilst waiting for trip requests
- When you enter the waiting area you will be placed in a virtual queue, which means you will receive trip requests based on your position in the queue (subject to the Rematch which is explained below)
- Pickups may only occur at the rideshare pickup zone located in the short stay car park (there is no fee charged to driver-partners for entering this area)
- Drop-offs can be made in the public passenger drop-off area, rather than the Rideshare pickup zone
Rides to DRW
How drop-offs work
Uber is a reliable option for travellers heading to the airport. At DRW, simply drop-off riders at the public drop off area.
How to pick-up your rider
Uber driver-partners may wait for ride requests at the designated waiting area only. You will not receive an airport request outside of this waiting area.
Here’s how it works:
- Enter the designated waiting area located in the field next to Caltex (Access via Neale St)
- As you arrive at the waiting lot, park in a line to avoid getting parked in and wait until you receive a trip request
- When you receive a trip request proceed to the rideshare pick up zone located in the short stay car park
- Upon entry to the short stay car park swipe your Access Card at the boomgate
- Pull into one of the 4 loading bays signed Rideshare pickup. If your rider incorrectly heads to the public pick-up point we suggest politely asking them to proceed to the designated Rideshare pickup zone, as Uber pick-ups cannot be made from the public area
- Pick-up your rider and begin the trip as normal
- Upon exiting the short stay car park swipe your Access Card at the boomgate
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I lose my place in the virtual queue if the rider cancels?
No, you will not lose your place in the queue if your rider cancels. However, you may lose your place in the queue for any of the following reasons:
- You do not accept a trip request
- You end or cancel a trip request
- You leave the airport area
- You go offline.
Will I know my position in the virtual queue?
Yes, you will be able to view your position in the virtual airport queue when you are waiting at the Airport. This is an approximation to help you decide if you wish to wait in the Airport area or head elsewhere to receive trip requests.
Will I still get other trips if I am in the Airport queue?
To minimise your waiting time at the airport and to keep Uber as reliable as possible in the surrounding suburbs you may at times receive a request from the surrounding area. These trip requests can be accepted as normal.
Are there bathroom facilities available?
Yes, Uber driver-partners have permission to use the facilities at the Caltex next door to the waiting lot.
How long can I park in the Rideshare pickup loading bays?
You should not wait in the Rideshare pickup zone, unless you are waiting for your rider to exit the terminal. You have a maximum of 30 minutes that you can stay in the Rideshare pickup loading bay at no cost. If you overstay this, you will need to pay at the boomgate on the way out. This will come out of your pocket. Rates can be found here.
Can I use my Darwin Airport Access Card for personal or other rideshare pickups?
No, the Access Card is specifically for Uber driver-partners picking up Uber riders. If you misuse the Access Card you could risk losing your access to pickups at Darwin Airport.
Is there a fee for drivers at the Airport?
No, there is no fee charged to drivers picking up or dropping off at Darwin Airport.
However, the maximum amount of time you can spend in the rideshare pickup zone is 30 minutes. If you overstay this time, you will need to pay when you exit. If this happens, the fee is not charged to the rider. To avoid overstaying the 30 minute limit, you can contact your rider via the Uber app to confirm if they’re ready to be picked up.
What is the best time to wait at the Airport?
This can differ across the week depending on flight arrival times. We recommend checking information made available from Darwin Airport on flight arrivals to choose when you wish to wait at the Airport and maximise your chance of receiving trip requests.
What do I need to do to get access to pickups at Darwin Airport?
You will be required to apply for an Access Card to do pickups at Darwin Airport. You can apply for this card by filling out this form and emailing it to email@example.com or in person at the Airport Management centre at 1 Fenton Court, Eaton NT or the Terminal Control Centre.
The airport will notify you directly via email when your airport access card is ready for collection.
What if I haven’t heard back about my Access Card?
To find out the status of your airport access card please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Terminal Control Centre.
When will I know I can do pickups at the airport?
You will receive a notification in your Driver App when your are eligible to start doing pick ups at Darwin Airport. We advise not waiting in the airport waiting lot until you have received this message.
Do I need an Access Card to drop off riders at the airport?
No, driver-partners using the Uber app can drop riders off at the public drop off area. The Access Card is only required for entry into the short stay car park, where the designated rideshare pickup zone is located.
What if I lose my Access Card?
If you lose or damage your swipe card, you will need to contact Darwin Airport at email@example.com and arrange for a replacement card. Replacement cards are subject to a $35 replacement fee payable upon collection.
Where do I collect my Access Card?
Once you have applied for your access card, it will be made available the next business day for collection at the Terminal Control Centre, they are open Monday to Friday 8am to 2pm and are located on the ground floor, adjacent to Gate A.