- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect Driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the rear passenger window facing outward. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub.
- When entering the airport to pick up passengers, you must use the Commercial Vehicle lane. Follow the signs to access this lane.
- You will be charged a $5 access fee for use of the lane, which will be automatically reimbursed to you on your weekly pay statement.
- Ground transportation personnel can request to see your electronic waybill and receipt for payment of access fee.
Pickups at RIC
How pickup requests work
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
At RIC, Uber’s technology uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone”. You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
The waiting area can be accessed via Fox Road off of Airport Drive.
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue.
- If there are no driver-partners in the FIFO zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area - outside of the FIFO zone - based on proximity and other factors.
You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber driver app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel multiple rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at RIC is located on the Arrivals level.
Dropoffs at RIC
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with RIC, riders can be dropped off at the Departures level. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
Know your way around RIC