MSY regulations for driver-partners
- Drivers are to stage in the lot behind Cell Phone Lot C.
- Once a trip has been confirmed, drivers should proceed to the designated location on the ground floor of the Ground Transportation Center to complete the pickup. Pickups are not permitted at departures or arrivals.
- Drivers must show their waybill via the driver app upon request from airport officials or law enforcement at the airport.
- Drivers may drop off passengers only on the departures level.
- Drivers must display trade dress on their vehicles.
Per MSY regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go Offline until exiting the airport area)
- We’ve instituted a special first vehicle in is the first one out (FIFO) system at MSY. The FIFO system only works within the designated, geofenced area and driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber app.
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield facing outward. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub.
- We have approval for uberX and uberXL, as well as UberBLACK and UberSUV partners to pick up riders at Louis Armstrong International Airport.
- NOTE: Only drivers & vehicles eligible to pick up in Orleans Parish (8 model years or newer, LA license plate, LA drivers license) are eligible to pick up at the airport.
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
Pickups at MSY
How pickup requests work
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
At MSY, Uber’s technology uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone”. You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
Based on the operating agreement with MSY, the waiting area is located at the lot behind Cell Phone Lot C (see map below).
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue.
- If there are no driver-partners in the FIFO zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area—outside of the FIFO zone—based on proximity and other factors.
You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel multiple rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at MSY is located at The Ground Transportation Center (see map below). In the Ground Transportation Center, you must go to the area designated “App Based Ride Services” area and park in a number spot.
Dropoffs at MSY
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with MSY, riders can be dropped off at their terminals. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
We've also launched the Re-Match feature at MSY. To qualify for Re-Match, driver-partners must first complete a dropoff at the airport. Re-Match then allows any driver-partner who just completed an airport dropoff to temporarily receive a pickup request without having to go to the staging lot. Once you drop off at the airport, if you wish, you can head toward the staging lot behind Lot C to wait in the FIFO queue for an airport request. Upon navigation to the staging lot, you may receive a Re-Match request. Airport regulations prohibit loitering in the terminal area. Idling at the curb may result in a citation from airport authorities.
Uber staging lot behind Cell Phone Lot C
Uber partners may wait for ride requests at the designated staging lot behind Lot C only (or risk being issued a citation). You will not receive airport requests outside of this designated lot.
Located south of the airport, along George Street off Airline Drive, the staging lot gives easy access to the airport.
- Hollandey Street will be closed for construction at Lot C.
- Please use George Street when entering or exiting the new staging lot.
- Partners are not allowed to wait at the IHOP or the Shell Station on Airline Drive.
Helpful tips for airport trips
1. Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule: Checking the arrivals schedule at MSY can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See MSY Arrivals Schedule
5. Making music optional While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!