Rules and regulations
Airport regulations for Uber driver-partners
Per airport regulations, drivers must adhere to the terms below. Please keep these in mind to ensure a smooth experience and avoid fines of up to $1,000.
- All driver-partners must pass the LAX quiz in order to get an LAX permit
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield and rear passenger windshield facing outward. The unique airport placard must be displayed beneath the front trade dress. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub. Additional requirements, if any, for obtaining this placard will be detailed below.
- To receive trip requests to pick up riders at LAX, driver-partners must be inside the Designated TNC Airport Assignment Area. You may wait in queue at the Staging Lot off 6100 Westchester Pkwy. The Airport Assignment Area operates on a first-in, first-out basis. You may not drive around the central terminal area or wait anywhere else in the neighborhood. TNC vehicles should not wait on the commercial side of the Staging Lot
- All ride dropoffs and pickups must occur on the upper departures/ticketing level and curbside, any other location could be subject to fines. Pickups must happen curbside at the Ride App Pickup signs A - G
- There is no waiting time permitted at the airport curb for pickups, the curb should only be used for active loading and unloading
- You must pull your vehicle parallel to the white curb, immediately behind the furthermost vehicle. Do not stop in a traffic lane
- When on airport property, the Uber Driver app must be open at all times (please do not sign out until you exit the airport)
- You may not loiter or stage at the terminal, riders must be picked up immediately. Circling the terminal is also prohibited.
- You may be asked to show your waybill. To access it, tap the 'INFO' button that appears in your app
- Please ensure you keep the red curb area clear. This section is reserved for private parking shuttles and partners can be cited if found waiting in this area
- Please keep the blue-striped ADA access zones clear unless picking up or dropping off a rider with a disability
- Penalties are a minimum of $200 per violation and citations can be issued by on-site personnel and / or if the violation is caught on camera
- Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff
Learn more with videos on driving at LAX
- English: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- Spanish: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- Chinese: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- Korean: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- Tagalog: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
Background check requirements
The airport requires that driver-partners meet certain background check requirements that are in addition to those required by the state. Failure to meet these requirements can lead to a driver-partner being blocked from taking trips to and from the airport. See below for more info on the airport’s requirements:
The airport does not allow drivers with the following convictions in the past 7 years:
- Driving under the influence
- A crime of involving property damage and/or theft
- Acts of violence
The airport does not allow drivers with convictions for:
- Reckless driving
- Sexual offenses
- Use of a motor vehicle to commit a felony
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, hit and run
- Driving with a suspended or revoked license
- Acts of terror
For more information on how this can affect you, please reach out to support or your local Greenlight Hub.
Pickups at the airport
How pickup requests work
It's easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Here’s how it works:
- Drive into the Airport Assignment Area. If you would like to park and wait, use the Staging Lot located off 6100 Westchester Pkwy. TNC vehicles should wait here and not in any other private property in the area
- You’ll be placed in line for the next pickup—pickups work on a first-in, first-out basis (also known as "FIFO")
- Once you receive a request, accept it and pick up your rider at the departures level Ride App Pickups signs at the airport. Make sure you pull over to a curb that is not red
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Your place in line depends on the order in which you entered the Airport Assignment Area. Driving closer to the terminal does not affect your place in line—proximity does not give you an advantage
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber Driver app
- You drive outside the Airport Assignment Area
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You excessively cancel rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Frequent trip cancellations at LAX can lead to a slow and confusing airport experience for both riders and driver-partners alike. Rejected requests and driver cancellations can affect your place in the queue. If you excessively cancel rides, you will lose your place in line and be sent to the back of the LAX pickup line.
Pro tip: Long trip notifications are not available at LAX.
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at the airport is located on the upper departures/ticketing level. All ride dropoffs and pickups must occur curbside on the upper departures/ticketing level, any other location could be subject to fines. Pickups must happen curbside at the Ride App Pickup signs lettered A - G.
Tips for your pickups
- Save time by calling or texting your rider to make sure they’re ready to go at the Ride Service signs
- Avoid congestion by clearing out your trunk before heading to the airport. Riders will be instructed to request another option like uberXL if they have more than one checked bag per person
Dropoffs at the airport
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to their airport. At the airport, simply drop off riders at their requested terminal on the departures level. It's important to keep the Uber Driver app on until you exit airport property. Please note that loading and unloading are permitted only at white curb areas. Stopping at red curbs is not permitted and may result in a citation.
If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber Driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
Re-Match at LAX
Re-Match means you can drop off at the airport, and pick up without having to return to the Airport Assignment Area, so you spend less time waiting and more time earning. This feature is only available for a 45-second window after completing a dropoff at the airport, and will help reduce traffic and your idle time.
Step-by-step pickups at the airport
Rider requests from LAX will only happen in the Designated TNC Airport Assignment Area. You will not receive an airport request outside of this area (and may be issued a citation) if you're seen waiting on airport property.
There is a Staging Lot located off 6100 Westchester Pkwy for you to park and wait, except nightly from 2am - 5am. This entrance only allows right turns from Westchester Pkwy.
There a few things to keep in mind while waiting for requests:
- The Airport Assignment Area is "first in, first out"; upon entering the staging line, you will be placed in line for the next trip request
- The Airport Assignment Area has a 30-minute time limit
- If you do not receive a trip request in 30 minutes, exit the Airport Assignment Area and re-enter
- If you leave the Airport Assignment Area or turn off your app, you will be placed at the back of the line
- Once you accept a request you'll head to the upper departures level and meet them at a Ride Service Pickup sign
- Ride App Pickup signs are lettered from A - G, and are located throughout the terminals
- Make sure you exit the Staging Lot by 2am each night. Unattended vehicles may be cited or towed
- While the Staging Lot is closed nightly from 2am - 5am, you are still eligible for LAX pickup requests while you are in the Airport Assignment Area at all times
How uberPOOL works at LAX
Get two airport trips when you go to LAX. With pickups just around the corner, you’ll earn money and save a bit of time and gas.
Connecting with your riders
Riders have been asked to request only when they're ready to be picked up at the Ride Service Pickup signs. Remember, you could get a fine for waiting curbside.
Moving you forward
The pickup experience was designed with your time in mind. You won’t ever have to circle the terminal for the second pickup—in fact, circling the terminal is prohibited by LAX.
The new LAX placard
LAX has begun issuing new LAX placards to Uber driver-partners who are eligible for pickups and dropoffs at the airport. Once you get your new LAX placard, you can verify it through the Uber Driver app:
- Go to the Account tab
- Tap ‘DOCUMENTS’
- Take a photo of your placard
- Upload the photo
As of April 30, 2018, all placards must be verified to continue taking trips at LAX. If you have an old LAX placard, you can destroy it once you receive and verify your new one.