Rules and regulations
Aiport Regulations for driver-partners
Per Aiport regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go Offline until exiting the airport area)
- We’ve instituted a special first vehicle in is the first one out (FIFO) system at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. The FIFO system only works within the designated, geofenced area and driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber driver app.
- As of January 1, 2019, Uber driver-partners completing pickups at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport will be required by law to have a 2012 or newer vehicle and display both Uber trade dress (logo decal) and ATL Airport hangtag.
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield facing outward. The unique ATL Airport hangtag must be displayed from the rearview mirror. Driver-partners can obtain the Uber decal and hangtag at their local Greenlight Hub.
- Call your rider and ask which zone they’re waiting in within the Rideshare Pickup zone so you can exit the lot within 15 minutes and avoid paying for parking.
- If your rider is waiting in a busy section, ask them to move to a less-crowded zone for a more efficient pickup.
- During the construction, we’re letting riders know that pickups will be quicker in the International Terminal. You may receive more requests than usual from the International Terminal.
- Livery drivers: Be sure to opt into SELECT and XL. You’ll be able to take advantage of the increase in trips from riders who don’t want to walk to the Domestic Teminals’ pickup locations.
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect Driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
Pickups at the airport
How pickup requests work
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the Atlanta Airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Uber’s technology uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone”. You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, the waiting area is located at 1586 Sullivan Road, Atlanta, GA 30337 (see map below).
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue.
- If there are no driver-partners in the FIFO zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area - outside of the FIFO zone - based on proximity and other factors.
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber driver app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel a ride (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup locations at the airport are located at the International Terminal, the North Economy Parking lot, and the South Economy Parking lot (see map below).
Drop offs at the airport
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders can be dropped off at curbside at any terminal. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterwards, you’ll need to keep the Uber driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
We've also launched the Re-Match feature at the airport. To qualify for Re-Match, driver-partners must first complete a drop off at the airport. Re-Match then allows any driver-partner who just completed an airport drop off to temporarily receive a pick up request without having to go to the Staging Lot. Once you drop-off at the airport, if you wish, you can head towards the RAA to wait in the FIFO queue for an airport request. Upon navigation to the waiting lot, you may receive a Re-Match request. Airport regulations prohibit loitering in the terminal area. Idling at the curb may result in a citation from airport authorities.
Know your way around the airport
ATL pickup maps
Please display your 2019 hang tag while you’re online with Uber on Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) property.
Helpful tips for airport trips
1. Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule: Checking the arrivals schedule at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See ATL ARRIVALS SCHEDULE.
5. Making music optional: While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!