As of April 1, 2019, we are not accepting new for-hire vehicle driver sign-ups in New York City, due in part to new TLC regulations.
Information for drivers
Read on for more details on driving with Uber at LGA.
COVID-19 Ground Transportation Policy
To ensure passengers feel comfortable while traveling through its airports, the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is requiring the below protocols be followed while operating at its airports.
- Only licensed TLC drivers in New York City are eligible to receive pickup requests at LaGuardia Airport.
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and drivers expect. Please remember that drivers who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect drivers to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
- Drivers should only wait in the designated staging lots at the airport.
How pickup requests work
Note: There may be a limit on the number of for-hire vehicles allowed in airport waiting queues, which will vary by the time of day and level of demand.
Waiting for requests
To become eligible to receive a pickup requests at LaGuardia Airport, drivers are required to enter the airport's designated waiting lot.
There is currently 1 designated FHV waiting area at LaGuardia:
- For Terminal A/B/C/D requests: 23rd Ave. and 90th St. Waiting Area
Some things to know about the queues:
- Your location within the waiting lot does not affect your position in the virtual queue
- When you’re in the designated waiting area, you'll be able to see your position in the queue and how many drivers are ahead of you in the driver app
- You may lose your place in line if: You go offline on the driver app, you drive outside the zone, you do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row, or you cancel multiple rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
- Parking or idling at terminals or elsewhere on airport property is strictly forbidden and does not enter you into the trip queue. Doing this may result in a citation. Uber does not pay for citations issued to drivers for illegally parking at airports
Picking up your rider
Upon receiving a pickup request, follow the directions in the driver app. Terminal areas can be crowded at times. If you can't find your rider, consider messaging or calling them through the driver app to let them know where you are.
For pickups at Terminal A:
- When you receive a trip request, the app will show your rider’s name and the pickup location
For pickups at Terminal B:
- Riders will know through in-app instructions to meet you on the 2nd floor of the Terminal B Parking Garage.
- Uber Black pickups may follow the PIN pickup process (details below) in Terminal B’s parking garage depending on the time of day.
For pickups at Terminals C/D:
- Riders will meet you in the designated lanes in the pickup area.
- UberX pickups may follow the PIN pickup process (details below) depending on the time of day.
- Upon entering the pickup area, drivers may be asked to show proof of their trip request.
How PIN pickups work
NOTE: PIN is currently disabled at LGA due to COVID-19.
Rather than being matched with a specific rider, you’ll be instructed in-app to navigate to the Uber PIN pickup area.
Continue pulling forward in the queue until parking staff directs a rider to your vehicle.
Before entering your vehicle, the rider will provide you with a unique 6-digit PIN code; tap Enter rider PIN on the bottom of the driver app and input the code.
Once the PIN is confirmed, the rider may enter your vehicle and you can start your trip.
How dropoffs work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
When dropping off riders at LaGuardia International Airport, simply follow the in-app instructions and drop your rider off at their desired terminal on the departures level.
Note that waiting in the terminal area, parking illegally, and idling on the shoulder may result in a citation.
Helpful tips for airport trips
1) Getting your car ready
Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2) Helping with luggage
It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3) Identifying your riders
Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.