Minimum requirements to sign up to drive
It’s easy to sign up to drive using the Uber app. Here’s what you need to do:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have held a valid full New Zealand driver’s licence for at least 1 year
- Have access to a vehicle that meets Uber's vehicle requirements
- Be listed as an insured driver for the vehicle you will drive
- Provide all the necessary documents required in your city
Requirements to start driving
Before hitting the road, you will need to submit the following documents:
- A valid, full New Zealand driver’s licence
- Photo of a valid, current Passenger Endorsement Driver ID card issued by the NZTA
- Proof of vehicle insurance; a minimum of third party property damage is needed, with you named as the policyholder or listed driver
- Valid vehicle registration
- Certificate of Fitness
- Transport Service Licence (TSL) card - this will be provided by Uber
- A driver profile photo
- Must be a forward-facing, centered photo including the driver's full face and top of shoulders, with no sunglasses
- Must be a photo only of the driver with no other subject in the frame, well-lit, and in focus. It cannot be a driver's license photo or other printed photograph
How to apply for a Passenger Endorsement
In order to complete the sign-up process, you’ll be required to obtain a Passenger (P) Endorsement from the NZTA. Uber can assist you in applying for a P Endorsement, or you can apply directly at a NZTA Agent, such as VTNZ, AA, or VINZ.
As part of your P Endorsement application there are additional documents you may need to obtain. Uber can help you obtain many of these documents - visit a local Greenlight Hub.
It's easy to get started
1. Sign up online
Tell us about yourself and your vehicle, if you have one. If you don’t, we may be able to connect you with vehicle solutions providers.
2. Upload documents
We’ll need you to upload some documents to get started, including your driver's licence and vehicle insurance. You can do this online or through your app. Follow the steps here.
3. Get authorised
New Zealand regulations require you to hold a Passenger Endorsement card and get a Certificate of Fitness with Uber’s TSL number in order to drive using the Uber app.
The information provided on this web page is intended for informational purposes only and may not be applicable in your country, region, or city. It is subject to change and may be updated without notice.