Photo Courtesy of The Brooklyn Botanical Garden
And once again, we’ve made it to Friday. TGIF. Not only is it supposed to reach over 70 degrees this weekend (sending all of New York into an “I-gotta-get-to-the-park!” frenzy), but it’s also Mother’s Day on Sunday, which means families will be out in full force brunching all over the city. But let’s not forget about all of the other exciting things happening in NYC this weekend — beyond Central Park and Sunday brunch.
Here’s your Uber-approved weekend guide:
- Have some lobstah: Sure, Cinco de Mayo is over. But what about Lobster de Mayo? This Saturday treat yourself to a gluttonous evening of fresh lobster and mucho tequila. This lobster bacchanal will feature the highest quality Maine lobster from Homarus and dishes by some of the city’s best restaurants including Betony, Marc Forgione, ABC Kitchen, and Gramercy Tavern (just to name a few). The best part for you? Uber users can get 35% off the ticket price by checking out on the ticket site with promo code UBER. And if you forget to buy your tickets ahead of time, you can even tell them “UBER” at the door for the same 35% discount on tickets.
- See some sugar art: On Tuesday Williamsburg’s Domino Factory hosted this year’s private Creative Time event to celebrate the opening of Kara Walker’s art exhibit entitled “A Subtlety.” Her show officially opens to the public on Saturday, and features an installation of large-scale sculptures made of sugar. If you can’t make it this weekend, don’t worry — Walker’s sculptures will be displayed at the Domino Factory through July 6. Read more about Kara Walker and the project here.
- See some rooftop art: It may not be as sweet as Kara Walker’s “A Subtlety,” but the Dan Graham rooftop exhibit at the MET is definitely worth checking out. Graham has transformed the rooftop garden into a maze of mirrored glass, steel walls and ivy hedgerows. The beautiful installation is amplified by the surrounding cityscapes. Visit The MET’s site for more information.
- See some art on an island: The Frieze Art Fair returns to Randall’s Island today for its third year. The city’s premier contemporary art fair will include over 190 galleries, about 30% of which are NYC-based. Plan on spending a good chunk of time wandering through the fair grounds — you may even want to download the Frieze New York guide and map so you don’t miss anything. Since Randall’s Island isn’t exactly the most accessible location, you may want to Uber it. For those of you who have never actually used Uber, sign up with promo code FriezeNY2014 for $25 off your ride to or from the fair.
- Smell the flowers: Take mom to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden and walk through the beautiful landscapes and green houses. See which flowers are currently in bloom here so you can do your research beforehand and impress her with your floral knowledge. After frolicking under the cherry blossoms, head over to Prospect Park for a picnic lunch and some people watching.
To the moms – Happy Mother’s Day. Enjoy the weekend!
|TELL YOUR FRIENDS|