Last year, we provided additional Rider insurance coverage for every Uber trip at no cost to you and you’ll be pleased to know that your safety remains our priority.
As part of our commitment to all our riders, from 1 August 2018, the cover with Chubb Insurance South Africa Ltd, an authorised Financial Services Provider, was updated to maximise your insurance protection while on an Uber trip. While every ride is always insured, Uber is proud to announce these updates. In the unfortunate event of death or disability On-Trip, the benefit has increased from R50 000 to R200,000 per person. We have also extended the cover to now include a contribution towards loss or damage to your personal possessions – up to R2,500 – should an accident occur during a trip.
Part of our cover also includes Road Cover, which will provide you with free legal assistance and representation for claims submitted to the Road Accident Fund.
These insurance protections are provided to you at no cost because we believe that it is the right thing to do. We continue to look for ways to do more to ensure your safety on the road, and fulfill our goal of being a reliable, affordable, and safe transportation option.
We are also excited about our recently launched Driver Injury Protection to ensure every Uber partner driver and Uber Eats delivery partner is covered while online.
Who are Chubb?
Chubb Insurance South Africa Ltd is an authorised Financial Services Provider and global insurance leader.
Insured for costs due to an accident
In the event of an accident during a trip, you can contact us through our 24/7 in-app support or through Uber’s Incident Response Call Back line for additional information about processing a claim. The following with be covered:
- Reimbursement for emergency medical expenses up to R50 000 and an immediate lump sum payment of R 1 500
- Accidental Death Benefit of R200,000 and R 15 000 to cover burial expenses will be reimbursed
- Permanent Disability of up-to R200,000 (the amount depends on the severity of the disability)
- Daily Confinement Payment – a daily amount for each 24-hour period of Hospital confinement up to a maximum period of 30-days (first 24 hours confinement is not covered)
- Lost or damaged passenger goods up to R2500
It doesn’t cost a thing
As part of our global commitment to safety we have partnered with Chubb, a leading insurance brand, to provide you with this protection at not cost to you.
Claiming from Road Accident Fund
We have partnered with Road Cover, who will provide legal assistance to drivers and other third parties for claims submitted to the Road Accident Fund.
Download the full policy details and exclusions
- South Africa
- Chubb Insurance South Africa Ltd, FSP No: 27176, an authorised Financial Services Provider.