The rains that Cape Town so desperately needed finally arrived on Wednesday, causing flash flooding and large-scale damage to housing and additional structures. Alongside this, extreme fires have been ravaging through the towns of Knysna and Plettenberg Bay, resulting in mass evacuations and damages to property.
We remember how generous the people of Cape Town were during #UberCOMMUNITY earlier this year, so we decided to make donating much needed items quick and convenient once again!
On Friday, 9 June, with the touch of a button, a driver-partner will come to your doorstep, pick up your donations and deliver them directly to Stor-Age depots across the city, and then to those in need across Cape Town, Plettenberg Bay and Knysna – all for free!
What they need:
- General toiletries and household items
- Baby products (formula, nappies, baby food)
- Adult and children’s clothing
- Sanitary pads
- Animal blankets and food
- Energade, energy bars and water for the firefighters
- Tinned non-perishable food items
How it works:
- Open your Uber app on Friday, 9 June, between 9am – 12pm
- Click on the orange UberCOMMUNITY banner on your screen
- Request a Uber vehicle as usual (no need to enter a destination)
- When a driver arrives – meet him at your pickup point with the donations.
The finer details:
- If you are unable to request an #UberCOMMUNITY vehicle on the day, please drop off your donations at Stor-Age, 121 Roeland St, Zonnebloem, Cape Town.
- To facilitate the collection and distribution of all donations, Uber has partnered with Amplicon PR, Salute Event Solutions, 34 Degrees South and Stor-Age.
- The donation drive will run between 9am –12pm on Friday, 9 June 2017. Requests must be placed within those hours.
- All donations must be bagged or boxed in order for drivers to accept your donation. If possible, please mark clearly what you are donating!
- Please keep in mind that driver-partners can’t leave vehicles unattended, so we ask that you bring your items out to meet your driver when they arrive.
- #UberCOMMUNITY will be in high demand so please be patient!
- The donations will be going to those in need in Cape Town, Plettenberg Bay and Knysna.
- Successful redemption of this offer is subject to the availability of Uber driver-partners. Access to and use of the Uber app will be subject to the standard terms and conditions applicable to all riders who use the platform.