The following terms and conditions (the “Rules”) apply exclusively to the aforementioned promotional Competition and all Participants are deemed to have read, understood and accepted the same, by virtue of utilizing and/or accessing the Uber platform:
- This Promotional Competition (“Competition”) is organised by Uber South Africa Technology (Proprietary) Limited (“Promoter”). For the sake of clarity, all Participants (as defined below) acknowledge and agree that neither Uber South Africa Technology (Proprietary) Limited nor any of its affiliates, holding companies, advertising agencies, advisers, nominated agents, partners, suppliers, subsidiaries and/or related/associated entities shall be considered as co-promoters of this Competition.
- The Competition is open to all persons over the age of 18 (eighteen) years, in possession of a valid form of identification (such as Identity Document or Passport), who utilise the Uber platform in South Africa (“Participants”). The Competition is specifically not open to:
- any person who is directly or indirectly involved or associated with the control of the Promoter or is controlled by the Promoter;
- an employee, director, member, partner, agent or consultant of the Promoter;
- an employee, director, member, partner, agent or consultant of the Promoter’s advertising agencies, advisers, dealers and suppliers
- an employee, director, member, partner, agent or consultant of Uber Technologies Inc., its affiliates and/or associated companies; and
- immediate family members of any of the persons mentioned in paragraphs 2.1 – 2.5 above.
- By entering and/or taking part in the Competition, either wittingly or unwittingly, all Participants and the Winners agree to be bound by these Rules. Any dispute or uncertainty, of any nature, in relation to the Competition and the Rules, shall be decided and resolved by the Promoter, in its sole and absolute discretion, whose decision shall be final and binding on all affected or related persons. The Promoter expressly reserves the right at any time and without notice to the Participants or any other persons, and for any reason which the Promoter reasonably deems necessary or appropriate, in its sole and absolute discretion, to (i) amend, modify, or change these Rules and/or any prize and (ii) postpone, suspend or cancel this Competition and/or any prize, or any aspect thereof.
- The Competition is only valid within South Africa where Uber is available. Participants must be within South Africa (i) at the time of entering and/or participating in the Competition, for any potential verification process (to the extent necessary) and (ii) at the time the Prizes are being awarded should they be declared a Winner,
failing which such person will be disqualified or ineligible and the draw for a replacement entry shall take place under the same terms and conditions as the first draw.
- The Competition commences at 00:01 on 20 September 2023 and ends at 23:59 on 24 October 2023 (“the Duration”). In order to submit an entry in the Competition and stand a chance to win one of the below Prizes, Participants must request and take 1 (one) ride via the Uber platform, of any length or duration.
- Eligible Participants who have entered the Competition stand a chance to win one of fifty (50) of the following prize (“Prize”):
- 365 (three hundred and sixty five) trips/rides on the Uber platform, capped at R100 (one hundred Rand) per trip/ride;
- to be taken during a 12 (twelve) month calendar period, immediately following the date when the Prize is provided to the Winner; and
- should any trip/ride exceed R100 (one hundred Rand), then the Participant shall be liable for the balance/excess amount over and above the R100 (one hundred Rand) cap, per trip/ride.
- Every single completed trip via the Uber platform constitutes an individual and separate entry into the Competition. Therefore, one Participant may have multiple entries, as they will receive an additional entry for every trip completed via the Uber platform during the Duration. In short, the more trips completed via the Uber platform, the more entries shall be entered into the Competition.
- For each week of the Duration of the Competition, 10 (ten) Winners will be selected at random, on a weekly basis i.e. 10 (ten) Winners shall be selected for each of the 5 (five) weeks of the Duration of the Competition, with the result that, ultimately, there shall be a total of 50 (fifty) Winners, over a 5 (five) week period (the “Winners”).
- Winners will be contacted via a telephone call using the mobile number on their Uber profile. If a Winner does not answer the telephone call by 12h00 SAST, the Winner will then be contacted via email. The Winner must confirm their acceptance of the Prize within 24 hours of receiving the telephone call (should they have answered) or email, whichever is sooner. If no response is received by the Promoter within this time period or if the Winner does not accept the Prize, the Winner will forfeit the Prize, and the Promoter, in its sole and absolute discretion may award the Prize to another Participant, after following the same process explained above, or declare that the Competition be closed with less or no Winners.
- After Winners have been selected, verified and confirmed in accordance with these Competition Rules, Winners will receive their Prize by electronic means.
- The terms and conditions of the promotional code for each of the 365 (three hundred and sixty-five) trips, of which a Prize consists of, shall be as follows, which must be read in conjunction with these Rules, where applicable or appropriate:
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein or elsewhere, Uber B.V. is solely responsible for arranging the promotional code in terms of which this offer is made. The offer is unique to the existing user of the Uber app who received this offer directly from Uber. Offer is only valid for use on the Uber App only and is not valid for use on the Uber Eats app. Offer valid for 1 (one) year as from the date the offer is applied to the user’s account, provided that such validity shall automatically come to an end on 31 October 2024. Offer valid for 365 (three hundred and sixty-five) trips only. The maximum amount of or off/discounted per trip is ZAR100 (one hundred Rand). User remains obligated to pay all other costs associated with the trip, including surcharges, tolls and tips. Restrictions: (i) Offer valid in South Africa only where Uber operates but may not be applicable in your region, or city; (ii) Offer applies to all Uber Connect, Uber Go, UberX, UberXL, Uber Van, Uber Comfort and Uber Black trips completed on the Uber App; (iii) Offer valid only for users who have received this offer directly from Uber; (iv) once applied, offer cannot be transferred; and offer cannot be duplicated or sold and it has no cash value. If the cost of the trip is less than the amount off per trip, the remaining amount cannot be credited to the user and the remaining balance falls away and is no longer available or capable of being used. Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers. Where a user is entitled to multiple offers, the offer with the highest savings will be automatically applied. Uber in its sole and absolute discretion reserves the right to amend or to withdraw the offer, in whole or in part, at any time and without prior notice.
- Once a Winner has received a Prize, ownership of and risk in and benefit attaching to the Prize will pass on to the Winner immediately.
- Participants may enter the Competition subject to the following:
- No automated entries will be allowed and all entries must be made by a natural person manually via the Uber App.
- If any entry was made in a manner which in the Promoter’s discretion provides the Participant with an unfair advantage over other entries, entrants or Participants, such a Participant will be disqualified from this and all future competitions run by the Promoter.
- Participants may enter this Competition as many times as they like provided they comply with these Rules. However, Participants are only eligible for 1 (one) Prize under this Competition. Participants who have won a prize in a competition run by the Promoter in the 6 (six) months prior to and preceding 25 May 2022, are not eligible to win a Prize.
- The Winners are obligated to behave responsibly and comply with the Competition Rules and all reasonable requests of the Promoter and its agents.
- If a Participant or Winner (i) participated in the Competition or (ii) successfully received the Prize, in a manner, which in the Promoter’s sole discretion, provided the Participant or Winner with an unfair advantage over other entrants or Participants, such a Participant and/or Winner will be disqualified from this and potentially all future competitions run by the Promoter.
- The Prize is neither transferable nor redeemable for cash.
- All Participants and Winners, as the case may be, indemnify the Promoter, it’s advertising agencies, advisers, nominated agents, partners, suppliers and Uber Technologies Inc., its affiliates and/or associated companies against any and all claims of any nature whatsoever arising out of and/or from their participation in and/or Use of any Prize in any way whatsoever in relation to this Competition (including, as a result of any act or omission, whether as a result of negligence, misrepresentation, misconduct or otherwise on the part of the Promoter and/or use of the Prize).
- By entering the Competition, the Participants agree that Uber Technologies Inc. and its affiliates (including the Promoter, the Promoter’s advertising agencies, advisers, nominated agents, partners and suppliers) may contact the Participants to deliver marketing communications regarding their products and promotional activities.
- By entering into the Competition, the Participants agree that, should they be declared a Winner, Uber Technologies, and its affiliates (including the Promoter, the Promoter’s advertising agencies, advisers, nominated agents, partners and suppliers) may contact the Winners via telephone call and/or email to inform them that they have won a Prize and that their names will be published. Uber Technologies Inc. and its affiliates, including the Promoter shall treat any personal information collected from the Participants and Winners in accordance with the Privacy Notice.
- The Promoter may require a Winner to complete and submit an information disclosure agreement and indemnification to enable the Promoter to ensure compliance with these Rules and the Consumer Protection Act 68 of 2008. Should a Winner refuse or be unable to comply with this rule for any reason, such a Winner will be deemed to have rejected the Prize and it shall revert back to the Promoter.
- The Promoter may require the Winners to be identified, photographed and published in printed media, or to appear in other marketing and promotional channels, including social media posts, when accepting their Prize or after having received their Prize. The Promoter may use the identification of the Winners and their images in whole or in part, and any reproductions thereof, worldwide for advertising, promotion, publicity or otherwise on any website for any media purpose and for any other lawful purpose whatsoever. Should a Winner refuse or be unable to comply with this rule for any reason, such a Winner will be deemed to have rejected the Prize and it shall revert back to the Promoter.
All queries relating to the Competition can be directed to the Promoter here.
Terms and conditions governing participation in the “Cape Town E-prix 2023 ticket giveaway” competition
14 February / South Africa
Stand a chance to win tickets to the 2023 Cape Town E-Prix! T&Cs apply.
14 February / South Africa
Simplify your Summer – save on rides when you book flights with LIFT!
01 December 2022 / South Africa
Risk Entity Watch – Using Anomaly Detection to Fight Fraud
From Light to Dark: The Story Behind Dark Mode on the Android Uber App
Unified Session for Analytical Events
National Survey of Delivery People