Over two years ago we launched our Clean Air Plan in London with the aim of getting every Uber driver in the city into an electric vehicle by 2025.
This ambitious goal required us to create the right financial support and incentives for tens of thousands of drivers to enable them to switch to electric.
Following the launch of Uber’s Clean Air Plan in London two years ago, more than £135m has been raised to support drivers with the cost of switching to a fully electric vehicle. Uber’s focus is now to encourage drivers to apply for EV Assistance under the Clean Air Plan. This will help clean up urban transport and drive a mass market for EVs.
So far in London, more than 3.5 million trips have taken place in fully electric vehicles, helping to reduce emissions and improve air quality in the capital.
Despite this progress, we still have a long way to go. Our plan now is to make sure that drivers can use these funds as easily and simply as possible, as well as providing them with a range of other benefits when they upgrade to an EV. Helping drivers make the switch will be the focus of the next phase of our Clean Air Plan.
Switching vehicles is a big decision for drivers, but with lower running costs and greater earning potential through the introduction of Uber Green, there has never been a better time to do it. Uber’s fully EV Uber Green launched last month and London is already its biggest global market. We know the demand for electric vehicles exists and we are committing to helping double the number of drivers in EVs by the end of the year:
- Drivers will be able to purchase or lease vehicles at discounted rates thanks to our partnerships with Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Otto and WeFlex.
- Drivers can use bp Pulse’s public charging network at a discounted rate. Drivers can also access Uber dedicated charging points at a series of rapid charging hubs in London.
- There will be discounts on home chargers from bp Pulse, PodPoint and EO.
- There will continue to be a reduced service fee of 15% for all trips on Uber Green – a new product which allows riders to request a fully electric vehicle for the same price or less as an UberX.
- Drivers will be working directly with Arrival to design a unique electric vehicle specifically designed for ride hailing, to enter production in 2023.
- Drivers can access low interest rates of less than 5% when financing the purchase of an electric vehicle.
As we enter the second phase of our plan, and encourage drivers to apply for EV Assistance under the Clean Air Plan, the Clean Air Fee will reduce from 15 pence per mile to 3 pence per mile.
We are committed to becoming a fully electric platform in London by 2025 and across the UK by 2030. There is still a lot of work to do to drive a green recovery and clean up urban transport, but the future is green and we will continue to support drivers in getting there.