1. Sign up online
The first thing you need to do to become a driver is to sign up for an Uber account. It only takes a few minutes.
2. Get a 3-year driver abstract
Head to any Alberta registry and get a 3-year driver abstract. Once you receive your abstract, head over to the Calgary Greenlight Hub with your abstract to complete your background screening.
3. Get your Class 4 Driver's Licence
To drive with Uber in Calgary, you must have a valid Class 1, 2, or 4 licence. You can find more about the process of getting your licence here.
Already have a Class 1, 2, or 4 licence? You can skip this step.
4. Visit the Calgary Greenlight Hub to complete CPS background screening
Complete an in-person Calgary Police Screening with Vulnerable Sector Search at the Greenlight Hub* with your 3 year driving abstract (less than 30 days old), SIN number, and 2 pieces of I.D.
The first piece of I.D. must be listed below:
- Driver’s licence (temporary driver’s licence not accepted)
- Alberta Photo Identification Card (issued through Registry Agent Offices)
- Canadian Passport
- Permanent Resident Card (past expiration date is acceptable)
- Firearms Licence
- Nexus Card
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card (Federally Issued)
Secondary I.D. can be:
- Alberta Health Care Card
- Canadian Birth Certificate
Please note: All drivers must have a clean criminal record to drive for Uber
*If you are unable to visit the Greenlight Hub, please visit your local Calgary Police Station and complete a Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search. Please ensure you submit your 3-year driving abstract to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to initiating a background screening.
5. Meet the vehicle requirements
Make sure your vehicle is road-ready by getting your Class 1-55 vehicle registration and completing an E.L.V.I.S inspection.
a. Get your Class 1-55 Vehicle Registration
- Visit your nearest Service Alberta Registry to get a Class 1-55 vehicle registration.
b. Complete a E.L.V.I.S. Vehicle Inspection
- To drive with Uber in Calgary, your vehicle must pass an Enhanced Livery Vehicle Inspection Standards (E.L.V.I.S.) check by a licensed mechanic who has a copy of the E.L.V.I.S. inspection form.
6. Visit Livery Transport Services
Once you have the results from your background check, make sure to share them with Livery Transport Services and Uber Canada.
Then, take your documents and visit the Calgary Livery Transport Services.
What to bring: Class 4 Driver's Licence, proof of work (i.e. birth certificate, work permit, passport), vehicle insurance, Class 1-55 vehicle registration, E.L.V.I.S vehicle inspection certificate.
7. Pick up your Uber sticker, download the app, and go!
Once you're approved to drive with uber, download the partner app to get started.
While you are online and driving with Uber, make sure you display your Uber sticker at all times on your back window.
Visit the Greenlight Hub to pick up your Uber sticker and place it on the lower left corner of your back window.
Why you'll love driving
Set your own schedule
You can drive with Uber anytime, day or night, 365 days a year. When you drive is always up to you, so it never gets in the way of the important things in your life.
Make more at every turn
Trip fares start with a base amount, then increase with time and distance. And when there are more people needing rides than normal, drivers make more.
Meet new people and learn about your city
You'll meet and have conversations with people from all walks of life. From long-time residents to first-time tourists, families, small business owners and more.
You'll also become an expert on Calgary and discover new places to show your friends and family.
Video for drivers