The summer months are renowned for being some of the hardest hitting in Australian climates, with wild weather patterns, cyclones and bushfires devastating communities. With a La Niña event set to hit Australia’s east coast this summer once again it’s more important now than ever to ensure that organisations such as Red Cross have the resources they need to respond quickly to disasters, such as floods and bushfires, and support those people and communities who are impacted.
To support our partner, Australian Red Cross, as they help communities plan ahead for crises, Uber is calling on Aussies to donate their quality, preloved items to the charity, and making it easier than ever to do so, with the return of our fourth Clothing Drive campaign.
On Saturday 19 November between 10am and 4pm local time, we’re offering free delivery via our same day delivery service, Uber Package, to Red Cross Shop drop off locations across Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney.
When we launched the Uber and Red Cross Clothing Drive in 2018, Aussies got behind the campaign wholeheartedly, with an incredible 43,500 kilos donated, worth an estimated $800,000.
This year, we’re calling on Australians to get behind the Red Cross’ humanitarian programs with a goal of receiving 55,000 kilograms of quality donations.
This is a mammoth task, but we’re so pleased to see a few celebrity friends getting behind the campaign already, including Ash Barty who has kindly donated some of her signed tennis apparel, Hamish & Andy who have donated some limited edition goodies, and the Wiggles who have donated one of their famous skivvies!
And the good news is, it’s easier than ever for you to get involved!
How to get involved:
- Gather your pre-loved items into a bag or box, no heavier than 20kg, so it comfortably sits in the boot of a midsize car. Have a look at our ‘hot tips’ below for information on the kind of donations the Red Cross islooking for.
- Open the Uber app between 10:00 to 16:00 local time in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide on Saturday 19th November 2022, navigate to the “Package” option.
- Click “Send a Package”, enter “Red Cross Clothing Drive” as the destination, and select one of the “Red Cross Clothing Drive” locations shown. You may also see a banner in the app relating to the Clothing Drive, which when clicked will allow you to select one of the Red Cross Clothing Drive locations shown. You need to be located in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney to redeem the free delivery.
- Eligible customers will see a $0 amount payable when they book an Uber Package with the drop off location set to one of the Red Cross Clothing Drive Drop off locations. The code is redeemable once, so if your donation is 20kg and your family and friends want to get involved too – encourage them to do so via the Uber app.
For any troubleshooting, for example if you can’t see the Red Cross locations in the app, or the trip isn’t showing as $0, please follow instructions here.
- Be realistic with your wardrobe clear out – if you haven’t worn it in years but it’s still in great quality, shift it to thrift it! Red Cross is looking for quality, saleable clothing and accessories in particular, but does not accept homewares, underwear, worn out and/ or dirty clothing. If it’s good enough quality to give to a friend, then it’s something the Red Cross would love!
- Make sure you’re in the coverage area! You need to be located in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney to redeem the free delivery.
- You can only redeem the code once, so if your family and friends want to donate another bag too, encourage them to do it via the Uber app.
- Meet the delivery person at the doorstep, or better still, curbside to hand over your donation and support them in helping make the donation drive as seamless as possible!
- Share the news! We’re keen to donate as many quality items to Red Cross as possible, so be sure to share with your family, friends and colleagues.
Richard Wood, Head of Retail, Australian Red Cross, commented:.”Disasters are becoming more frequent and intense in Australia, and it’s so important that we are ready to respond. By donating high quality, clean clothing and accessories via the Uber and Red Cross Clothing Drive, people in Australia can help Red Cross to support people and communities in vulnerable situations
Margarita Peker, Director of Rider Operations, Uber ANZ, added: “We’re proud to be partnering with the Australian Red Cross again to remove some of the barriers preventing Aussies from donating for one day, and make it easier than ever for them to donate quality clothing, from their doorstep,”
“By simply booking an Uber Package trip, our same day on-demand delivery service, Aussies can donate those pre-loved items gathering dust in their wardrobe with a tap of a button, and watch in real time as the delivery person transports it to Red Cross sorting centres.”
Terms and conditions:
- Offer Period. The Offer is available from 10:00 AEDT to 16:00 Local time in each Eligible City on 19 November 2022. Uber reserves the right to void, cancel, suspend, or amend the Offer at any time.
- Offer. Eligible Customers will be able to book one $0 Uber Package trip to have the Eligible Items they wish to donate delivered to the Red Cross. A maximum of one Uber Package trip applies per user. (“Offer”). To apply the Offer, users must open their Uber app, select “Package” option, click “Send a package”, enter “Red Cross Clothing Drive” as the destination, and select one of the “Red Cross Clothing Drive” locations shown. Alternatively, they may see a banner in the app relating to the Drive, which when clicked on will allow them select one of the Red Cross Clothing Drive locations shown.
- Eligible Customers. “Eligible Customers” are customers in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth (“Eligible Cities)”. Eligible Customers will see a $0 amount payable when they book an Uber Package with the drop off location set to one of the Red Cross Clothing Drive Drop off locations.
- Eligible Items. “Eligible Items” are donated items in package(s) (i) not greater than 20 kilograms; and (ii) that fit comfortably in the boot of a mid-size motor vehicle. Prohibited items include but are not limited to: alcohol, medication, recreational drugs, and dangerous or illegal items. Violations may be reported to authorities. For this event Red Cross is accepting quality, saleable clothing and accessories. They are not accepting homewares, and do not accept underwear, or worn out and dirty clothing
- Ordinarily, eligible deliveries for Uber Package must not have a total value greater than AUD $100, however that limit does not apply for this promotion.
- Availability. Offers are subject to availability. Successful redemption of the Offer is subject to the availability of drivers. This means that you will not be able to participate in the Offer if there are no drivers available.
- Acceptance of Terms. You are deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions by participating in the Offer. Uber reserves the right to refuse or terminate your participation in the Offer if you are in breach of these terms and conditions.
- Liability. Insofar as is permitted by law, we will not (and nor will our agents, partners or distributors), in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate you, accept any liability to you (whether direct, indirect, special, incidental, exemplary, punitive or consequential) for any loss, damage, personal injury or death arising out of or in connection with your participation in the Offer whether such liability arises from any claim based upon contract, warranty, tort (including negligence), strict liability or otherwise, and whether or not we (or our affiliates) have been advised of the possibility of such loss, damage, personal injury or death. Your statutory rights are not affected. Any liability of ours arising in connection with the Offer shall be several and we accept no joint and several liability in connection with the Offer. Once an item has been picked up for donation, it cannot be reclaimed.
- Other Terms. The Offer is subject to Uber’s Terms and Conditions on https://www.uber.com/legal/en/, including the Uber Connect Terms and Conditions.
- Governing law. These terms and conditions shall be governed by the laws of New South Wales and the parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the state of New South Wales.