Introducing Uber Child Seat: the new family friendly option to help young Aussie families move around easily.
We have partnered with Baby Bunting, Australia’s leading Child Seat retailer to trial Uber Child Seat.
- You can book a ride from a driver-partner with a pre-approved child seat and/or child booster seat in the vehicle
- The driver-partner is educated and has been verified by Baby Bunting Child Seat Installers to install the seat ready for your trip
- What is Uber Child Seat?
A new ride option matching eligible driver-partners with riders who need to travel with their young child(ren).
These eligible driver-partners will have a pre-approved Child Seat and Child Booster seat to safely transport riders and their young child(ren) aged 8 years or below (2 kids max).
All children must be accompanied by an adult at all times, such as their parent, guardian, or caregiver.
- Where is Uber Child Seat available?
Uber Child Seat is currently being trialed in Melbourne, Australia.
- How do I request an Uber Child Seat trip?
Uber Child Seat trips are available on demand and on Uber Reserve. With Uber Reserve, you can request a ride at least 30 minutes and up to 30 days in advance.
To book an Uber Child Seat trip, go to the Uber app on your mobile device.
- In the Uber app, enter your pick up and drop off location
- Under 'Choose a ride’, select ‘Uber Child Seat’
- When your driver is en-route, call or message the driver-partner to confirm which child seat(s) you will require. Let the driver-partner know if you’re in a safe spot where they can pull over and install the seat(s).
- Please allow additional time for the driver-partner to correctly install the Child Seat(s). Your driver-partner will start the trip after the seat is safely installed.
- Does it cost extra to take an Uber Child Seat?
Uber Child Seat trips include a $9.99 surcharge to cover additional services involved in Uber Child Seat trips.
- How many children can I bring with me?
You can bring up to two children below the age of 8 years. Each vehicle will fit 5 passengers, including the 2 children. Children taller than 145cm are not required to travel in a Child Seat.
All Uber Child Seat rides come with:
- 1 x Convertible Child Seat (suitable for children between 0-4 years old)
- 1x Booster Child Seat (suitable for children between 4-8 years old and under 145cm)
There is only one of each child seat available for each ride (2 kids max).
- Which seat is right for my child/children?
Driver-partners have been educated by experts at Baby Bunting to install Child Seats. Each child should be measured against the height markers in the seat to confirm the appropriate fit. As a general guide:
Convertible Child Seat:
0 months to 4 years;
67cm to 145 cm; and
Up to 18 kg.
Child Booster Seat:
4 - 8 years;
Up to 145cm; and
14 kg to 32 kg.
If you are unsure which seat you should have installed, ask your driver-partner or contact our support team via your Uber app.
- Why is choosing the right seat important?
For the child’s safety, it’s important to ensure they are secured properly in a Child Seat that is correctly fitted into the vehicle.
You can learn more about the importance of choosing the correct seat by watching this video.
- What are the approved Child Seat models?
- What kind of vehicle will I get if I order an Uber Child Seat trip?
Uber Child Seat vehicles are a selection of the largest vehicles available in the UberXL product. This means that each Uber Child Seat vehicle has been selected to fit the two approved Child Seat models, a total of 5 passengers, and luggage.
- What training or education has my driver-partner done for an Uber Child Seat trip?
Uber Child Seat driver-partners undertake in-person education with certified Child Seat Installation experts at Baby Bunting, or another certified provider. In this in-person education, Uber Child Seat driver-partners learn how to safely install the two approved Child Seat models in their vehicle, and must demonstrate competency in safe installation prior to taking their first Uber Child Seat trip.
- I have a car seat already, can I bring my own instead?
If you have your own child seat, you may bring it on an Uber Child Seat ride. As Uber driver-partners are educated only in installing the approved child seat models, you will be responsible for fitting the child seat in the vehicle, adjusting the seat to fit your child, and securing your child in the seat. If your driver-partner does not feel the child seat is appropriate for the child, safely installed or fitted, the driver-partner has the right to refuse the trip.
- Can my child travel in an Uber alone?
No. All children must be accompanied by an adult (parent, guardian or caregiver) at all times. Driver-partners also have the right to refuse to transport riders who look under 18 years old and are not accompanied by an adult.
Posted by the Uber team