As people limit their movements due to COVID-19, we’re working on ways to help them continue to get the items they need using the Uber app. This is where you can continue to help, and open up another option to earn during these evolving times.
Our parcel delivery products will be piloting in select Australian cities over the next few weeks. With these new products, drivers will be able to pick up and drop off items using the Driver app. We’ve designed these products to compensate you for the extra time and effort it takes to pick up items.
Requests might be slow to start, but we’ll be working to get more businesses and people using the products over the coming weeks.
Opt in for parcel requests
If you haven’t already, visit the Work Hub in your Driver app to opt in to receive parcel delivery requests. .
You’ll be able to turn off these requests at any time in the Preferences section of your Driver app.
During the pilot, only rideshare drivers will be eligible to receive parcel requests; Uber Eats delivery-partners are not eligible at this point in time.
With Uber Connect, you can help friends and family stay connected by letting them send things like flowers, household essentials, or care packages to each other.
How it works:
- Accept an Uber Connect request: It’s similar to accepting a ride request. You’ll receive a “Connect” request in the Driver app, and you can choose to accept or decline it.
- Meet the sender kerbside: After accepting an Uber Connect request, you may receive a message in the app from the sender with additional pick up and drop-off notes. The sender will meet you kerbside to safely load the package into the boot of your vehicle and help minimise contact. Delivery packages should weigh less than 20 kg, and should fit comfortably in the boot of a mid-size vehicle.
- Deliver the package: Bring the package to the recipient at the drop off location. If you are unable to connect with the recipient, try to contact the sender to resolve the issue before ending the trip.
- Earn for every delivery: Fares for Uber Connect are calculated to compensate you for the extra time and effort it takes to pick up an item. You can see a breakdown of your earnings in the Uber app.
- You’re in control: If you prefer not to do package delivery, you can turn Connect off in the Preferences section of the Driver app. You can always turn it on again later.
Parcel deliveries from businesses
You’re also able to help businesses move items from A to B.
How it works:
- Receiving requests Just like with UberX, you will receive requests for parcel deliveries in your Driver app. You’ll see that it’s a parcel delivery request on the request screen.
- Arriving at the pickup location Your Driver app will navigate you to the pickup location. You’ll be able to see detailed instructions for where to pick up the items in your Driver app.
- Picking up the items Look for items labeled with the information shown in the pickup notes of your Driver app, and bring them to your vehicle. If you’re having trouble finding the pickup location or items, you can contact the sender in the Driver app. Keep in mind you may be asked to leave your car to go collect the items.
- Navigating to the drop-off After you securely place the items in your vehicle, start the trip and follow the navigation as usual.
- Dropping off the items Leave the items at the door when you arrive at the drop-off location, and take a photo of them in a safe place.
- Ending the trip End the trip just as you would with UberX.
No-contact pickups and drop-offs
Pickups and drop-offs are designed to be contactless to help with social distancing. High volume pickup locations may have a parking and queuing area. And, you can leave the item(s) at the door for drop-off.
Answering your questions about parcel deliveries from businesses:
- What’s the difference between delivering parcels from businesses and Uber Connect?
- Where do I pick up the item(s)?
- Picking up an item – what do I need to do?
- What items are allowed on a parcel delivery?
- Will items already be packaged?
- Dropping off an item – what do I need to do?
- What if I can’t find the drop-off location, or have issues parking?
- What if an item is damaged on a trip?
- What if items are missing at pickup or drop-off?
- Are there weight and quantity limits?
- How can I protect myself from COVID-19 during a parcel delivery?
- Am I insured during parcel deliveries?
- How do I stop receiving parcel delivery requests?
- Is this a permanent product?