Updated March 11, 2016
Today, Wayne’s Walk is introducing an innovative partnership with Uber in the Town of Stratford, Connecticut, which sets out to provide safe rides for all Stratford residents to help prevent drunk driving.
Starting Friday, January 29, and through the month of February, the Stratford-based organization will pay for weekend rides taken within the Town of Stratford between 6pm–2am.
Wayne’s Walk aims to ensure a safe ride is within reach when Stratford residents need it most
In 2014, Connecticut saw 97 drunk driving deaths, which added up to 39% of all traffic fatalities that year. That rate is higher than the U.S. average of 31%, and is the fifth highest nationally—behind Texas, North Dakota, Massachusetts, and Delaware. (Source: NHTSA)
“We’re excited to partner with Wayne’s Walk and Uber in an effort to keep residents safe and help save lives,” said Mayor John A. Harkins. “As a long time supporter of Wayne’s Walk, I know the positive change that collaborative efforts such as this can bring about in a community. This is new and exciting, and I encourage residents who need a safe ride to use these services. I also hope to see other communities join in on this program.” –Stratford Mayor John Harkins
With this partnership, Uber and Wayne’s Walk will empower Stratford residents with a transportation option to help prevent drunk driving
“On behalf of the Wayne’s Walk Foundation, we are hopeful that this new partnership with Uber to implement the first-of-its-kind Safe Rides program in Connecticut will prove to make our roads and our communities safer. If the program keeps one impaired driver off of our roads, then it will prove to be a success!” –Darin Bershefsky, President of Wayne’s Walk
How it works
- Open your Fridays and Saturdays between the hours of 7pm–3am when you’re requesting a trip within Stratford
- Select the WAYNE’S WALK safe ride option
- Request your ride home—that’s it!
- Beginning Friday, January 29 Uber riders will see the Wayne’s Walk Safe Rides option in the Uber app
- On Fridays and Saturdays from 7pm–3am, riders will be able to request a ride from anywhere within Stratford from the Wayne’s Walk option
- Rides that begin and end within Stratford town limits will be free of charge to the rider (4 rides per calendar month, up to $10)
Update: As of March 11, 2016, the Wayne’s Walk Safe Rides program is available Fridays and Saturdays from 7pm–3am and select holidays and events. Riders may request up to 4 riders per calendar month, and each ride is covered up to $10. Rides must begin and end within Stratford.