Gold Coast (OOL) Airport
Uber has a designated pick-up zone and driver-partner waiting area at the Gold Coast Airport.
- Pick-ups are to be made from the designated Uber (Ride-Booking) pick-up zone
- The pick-up zone is located in front of the international arrivals area, in the outer lane
- Drop-offs can be made either at the pick-up zone or in any public passenger drop-off area
- The Airport has a specific waiting area off Eastern Ave for driver-partners to queue in whilst waiting for trip requests
- When you enter the waiting area you will be placed in a virtual queue, which means you will receive trip requests on a First-In-First-Out (FIFO) basis
- This system has been designed to help ensure driver-partners who have been waiting in the queue the longest receive requests first.
Where to drop-off
Uber is a smart option for travellers heading to the airport. At OOL, simply drop-off riders at the same place as the Uber pick-up zone. Or, you are welcome to use any of the normal public passenger drop-off areas.
How to pick-up your rider
Uber driver-partners may wait for ride requests at the designated waiting area only. You will not receive an airport request outside of this waiting area.
Here's how it works:
- Enter the designated waiting area off Eastern Ave
- Wait in the area until you receive a trip request
- When you receive a trip request proceed to the pick-up zone by leaving the designated waiting area and re-entering Terminal Drive
- Stop in the pick-up zone to collect your rider (look for the 'Authorised Ride Booking Vehicles Excepted') signage.
We recommend contacting your rider if you cannot locate them at the Uber pick-up zone. If your rider is waiting at the public pick-up area we suggest politely asking them to proceed to the Uber pick-up zone, as you are not permitted to pick-up from the public area.
Frequently asked questions
Do I lose my place in the queue if the rider cancels?
No, you will not lose your place in the queue if your rider cancels. However, you will lose your place in queue for any of the following reasons:
- You reject a trip request
- You end or cancel a trip
- You leave the Airport area
- You go offline.
Will I know my position in the FIFO queue?
Yes, you will generally be able to view your position in the FIFO queue when you are waiting at the Airport. This is an approximation to help you decide if you wish to wait in the Airport area or head elsewhere to receive trip requests.
What if I have other questions?
How does short trip protection work?
Now if you get a short-distance trip* from OOL, we'll hold your spot for 6 hours, so that you can return to the same virtual queue and get another trip quickly. If a trip is eligible for short trip protection, we'll let you know in the app before you accept the trip.
*To be eligible for short trip protection, you must be waiting in an airport queue for at least 15 minutes. Short trip protection is valid for 6 hours at the same virtual queue and remains in place even if you go offline or do other trips before returning to the airport's queue. Airport short trip protection distance radius is subject to change.
Will I still get other trips if I am in the Airport queue?
Yes, to keep Uber as reliable as possible in the suburbs surrounding the Airport you may still receive trip requests that are not from the Airport even if you are waiting in the Airport queue. These requests will be received on the normal distance based system, not the FIFO queue.
What is the best time to wait at the Airport?
This can differ across the week depending on flight arrival times. We recommend checking information made available from Gold Coast Airport on flight arrivals to choose when you wish to wait at the Airport and maximise your chance of receiving trip requests.
Is there a fee for drivers at the Airport?
No, there is no fee charged to drivers for picking up or dropping off at the Gold Coast Airport.