Get a taxi driver's license in Sweden
With millions of riders all over the world, Uber is a great way to make money — but first you need a license to drive taxi in Sweden. It usually takes two months to complete the process to get your taxi driver's license (taxiförarlegitimation) and the cost is 4,525 kr.
The Swedish Transport Agency (Transportstyrelsen) issues licenses to individuals fulfilling the following requirements (at the time of applicaiton):
- At least 21 years old
- Have had a driver's license type B for minimum two years or have a driver's license type D
- Fulfills the medical requirements necessary with regards to the safety of passengers and other road-users
- Deemed to be suitable to work as a taxi driver with regards to professional qualifications and law obedience
- Have passed a driving exam for taxi driver's license
Apply for your taxi driver's license
2. Book an optional intro session
Start your journey by booking a free appointment at our office in Stockholm or Gothenburg. We will tell you everything you need to know about how to get your license. If you live in the Malmö area, you are able to book a meeting over phone.
- Your Uber registration details (phone & email)
- Driver's license (type B, minimum 2 years, or type D)
3. Get prepared for Trafikverket's exams
You will need to pass three knowledge exams and one driving exam before you can submit your application to Transportstyrelsen. All exams are done at Trafikverket. It is a good idea to prepare before you take the exams - Uber provides free support through our program UberAcademy. Apply to get access to the preparation material using the link below, which is provided to you through the e-learning tool EduMe.
To get access to the material you need to:
- Have a registered Uber account
- Uploaded a photo of your driver's license
- Applied through the link below or visited the Partner Center
Tip: Make it easier to prepare by getting a map book. In our our preparation material, we refer to "Sverige Vägatlas 2018 Motormännen". You can borrow this book at our offices in Stockholm and Gothenburg, or buy it in your book store.
4. Pass the exams at Trafikverket
When you feel ready to take all or one of the exams, you schedule an exam slot at Trafikverket's website through the link below. You can also contact Trafikverket's costumer service at 0771-17 18 19. The fee for each knowledge exam is 325 kr and the fee for the driving exam is 1200 kr (if you need to borrow a vehicle with double steering). The prices are valid weekdays, before 18.00.
Please note: All exams are in Swedish.
The following applies for the exams:
- You can yourself pick the order of the exams
- To fulfill the professional qualifications requirement, all three knowledge exams need to be passed within a six month period from the first exam. In all, the knowledge exams cannot be older than 3 years old at the time of application.
- The driving exam cannot be older than 1 year at the time of application.
- Schedule your driving exam in time - the number of time slots are few and the waiting time is therefore often long.
- Put togehter a time plan for your knowledge tests and take one exam at a time. Other partners recommend starting with the Map reading exam, since that is considered the easiset.
5. Complete a medical check
Visit your local medical centre to get a medical certificate (läkarintyg). This document certifies that you are medically fit to work as a professional taxi driver, and must be issued by a licensed doctor. In Stockholm, we have a partnership with Medicinska Intyg, where you can book an appointment through this link. The cost of the certificate is typically between 900-1000 kr.
6. Apply for your license
The final step is to submit your license application to Transportstyrelsen. If you are able to verify your identify electronically (e.g. through BankID), you can submit your application online using the link below. You may be required to include complementary documentation in your application. For example, if you do not have a Swedish driver's license, you have to include a certificate form the country issuing the driver's license.
The application cost is 1200 kr. If your application is passed, an extra fee of 250 kr is added to produce your taxi driver's license.
Get more from Uber
The information provided on this web page is intended for informational purposes only and may not be applicable in your country, region, or city. It is subject to change and may be updated without notice.