In 2014, Americans wasted nearly 7 billion hours sitting traffic. This kind of congestion is bad for productivity, and the resulting pollution undermines everyone’s quality of life.1
It’s why we’re excited to launch uberPOOL in Delaware on Thursday, September 15. uberPOOL enables people going to the same place at the same time to share the journey. It’s all about getting more butts into fewer cars. This means cheaper rides for passengers and less congestion over time. When it launches, uberPOOL will be up to 75% cheaper than uberX in Delaware.
HOW TO POOL
- Choose the uberX option in the app and enter your destination.
- Choose to save money by sharing your car with another rider traveling along a similar route, and tap “Request uberPOOL”.
- Enter the number of riders in your group—there’s a maximum of 2 riders per uberPOOL request.
- You’ll see your driver’s details straight away—name, photo and the details of the car. As with uberX, these drivers have undergone an extensive screening process.
- uberPOOL will then match you with another passenger heading in the same direction:
- That person will either be in the car at the start of the trip, in which case you’ll see their name in advance; or
- Your driver will pick them up along the way, in which case Uber will notify you via the app.
- Whether you’re first or second into the car, Uber ensures that you’re never taken more than a few minutes out of your way.
- At the end of your trip, payment will be automatic—just like a normal Uber trip—and you will receive an electronic receipt.
uberPOOL is a proven model: In LA, for example, uberPOOL now accounts for over 30 percent of our trips in the city. In its first eight months there passengers took over five million uberPOOL trips — cutting the number of miles driven across town by 7.9 million and carbon dioxide pollution by 1,400 metric tons.
Cheaper rides for passengers: uberPOOL is more affordable because the cost of the trip is shared. The fare per trip is set up to 75% less than uberX, which is typically our cheapest service–whether Uber pairs you up with another passenger or not.
Less congestion on Delaware streets: uberPOOL is a convenient way for people going in the same direction at the same time to share the journey. This helps cut congestion and pollution. And because uberPOOL is cheap and easy to use, over time it offers a credible alternative to car ownership. If you can press a button and get an affordable ride across town within minutes at any time of day or night, why bother to own a car at all?
Less time between trips for drivers: uberPOOL means less idle time between paying trips for drivers. It also means more demand overall because as the cost of a trip falls more people use the service—which means more rides for drivers.
uberPOOL will be initially available for journeys starting in Wilmington and Newark.
FACTS ABOUT UBERPOOL
Since uberPOOL was launched in San Francisco in September 2014, it has expanded to cities around the world, including: Austin, Bangalore, Boston, Chengdu, Chicago, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Miami, New York City, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Toronto, and Washington D.C.
In San Francisco, uberPOOL now makes up nearly half of Uber’s trips in the city. In one month alone, the service saved 120 tons of carbon dioxide emissions when compared with non-pooled trips, the equivalent to the output of over 128,000 pounds of coal.
In Los Angeles, riders took more than 5 million uberPOOL trips in the first eight months, saving 7.9 million driving miles. uberPOOL now accounts for more than 30 percent of Uber’s trips in the city.
In New York City, during the last week of October, nearly 50,000 riders took an uberPOOL trip. In one week alone, more than 60,000 miles of car travel on New York City streets were eliminated by matched uberPOOL trips.
HOW IS MY FARE CALCULATED?
The quoted fare you’re shown before you request is guaranteed whether you’re matched with another rider or not—no surprises! uberPOOL fare includes a $1.25 Booking Fee.
CAN I BRING OTHER PEOPLE?
Feel free to bring a friend! Each uberPOOL request may have a maximum of 2 riders per pickup.
WHERE IS UBERPOOL AVAILABLE?
Starting on Thursday, September 15, uberPOOL will be available in Wilmington and Newark.