This notice describes how Uber and its affiliates/subsidiaries (collectively “Uber”) collect, use, disclose, and otherwise process the personal data (“Candidate Data”) of individuals who apply or are considered for a position with Uber (“Candidates”).
This notice governs Uber’s processing of Candidate Data anywhere in the world in connection with our recruitment of Candidates for positions at Uber.
This notice does not apply to Uber’s processing of personal data in connection with the use of its products or services. For information on such processing, please see Uber’s User Privacy Notice.
We collect the following categories of Candidate Data directly from you:
- name, address, email address, telephone number, or other contact information
- resumes/CVs, cover letter, academic transcripts, and other statements of experience and education
- the position(s) for which you wish to be considered, desired salary, willingness to relocate, and other job preferences
- how you heard about the position
- prior employers, dates of employment, positions held and/or job titles
- referral names and contact information for referrals
- name and contact information for references (it being solely your responsibility to obtain consent from references before providing their personal data)
- any other personal data that you provide during the job search, application, or interview process with Uber, including medical/disability, information submitted in connection with skills assessments, additional information regarding work or educational experiences, information about employment offers from other companies, and reason(s) for acceptance/rejection
We may also receive the following categories of information from other sources:
- where permitted by law, background check data, potentially including your criminal history records.
- information concerning your prior employment, including (where permitted by applicable law) compensation and your educational and academic degrees, from employment agencies, publicly available sources, social media websites, former employers and/or educational institutions
- information provided by references that you provide
In addition, if you apply for a position in the United States, or in another country that permits such voluntary data collections, you will have the opportunity to provide information about your gender, race/ethnic origin and/or veteran status in order for us to conduct equal opportunity monitoring. Where permitted by law, we may also infer some of this information for past Candidates in order to improve our recruitment process. The provision of this information is entirely voluntary, and where required by law (including in the European Economic Area (“EEA”)), we only collect such information with your express consent. If you decline to provide this information, your application(s) will not be affected in any way. If you choose to provide this information, you consent to our using it for equal employment opportunity monitoring purposes. This information will be held and stored anonymously and will not be used to evaluate your application for employment.
Uber uses your Candidate Data in connection with our Candidate recruitment process. For example, we use your Candidate Data to:
- evaluate and verify your education, skills, experiences and other qualifications and interests in connection with open roles at Uber
- communicate with you regarding the interview process, and inform you of potential career opportunities
- prepare offers of employment, including as it relates to compensation
- improve our recruitment process, including by generating anonymized data and analysis using Candidate Data
- perform pre-employment background checks where permitted by law
If you are hired, Uber will maintain your Candidate Data as part of your employee records.
If you are not hired for the position for which you were initially considered, we may use your Candidate Data to identify and contact you regarding other positions for which you may want to be considered. If you do not wish for Uber to use your data for this purpose, you may request that we delete your Candidate Data as explained below.
In addition, if you provide Uber with the contact information of your references, Uber may use that information to contact your references (and not for any other purpose). Information provided by such references will be used by to evaluate your candidacy, and will otherwise be treated in accordance with this notice.
We may share your Candidate Data:
- with Uber subsidiaries and affiliates.
- with an Uber employee who has referred you to inform them about the status and outcome of the referral.
- with vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work relating to the recruitment process on our behalf.
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of Uber assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
- with law enforcement officials, government authorities, or other third parties if we believe it is required by applicable law, regulation, operating agreement, legal process such as subpoenas or court orders, or governmental request, if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our policies, or if we believe such sharing is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of Uber or others.
- in an aggregated and/or anonymized form which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Uber does not sell Candidate personal data.
Uber retains your Candidate Data for as long as you are under consideration for a position with Uber. Thereafter, Uber retains your data in accordance with the laws in the countries where you live. These laws may require Uber to retain your information for periods defined in such laws, or to delete it after periods defined in those laws. Unless otherwise required by such laws, Uber will retain your Candidate Data for 3 years after it ceases to consider you for a position with Uber, and will thereafter delete your Candidate Data except for historical information regarding the positions for which you were considered (e.g., the position(s) for which you applied and the dates of your application(s)), and the decisions made by Uber with respect to your candidacy (which may include the grounds for the decision). In some cases, we may ask for your consent to retain your Candidate Data for longer than the period otherwise permitted under applicable laws.
You may also request deletion of your Candidate Data at any time. Unless otherwise required by law, or where Uber may have a legitimate interest that justifies continued retention, Uber will delete your Candidate Data after receiving such request, except for historical information regarding the positions for which you were considered, and the decisions made by Uber with respect to your candidacy.
You have the following rights with respect to Uber's handling of your Candidate Data:
- access your personal data
- correct any errors regarding your personal data
- erase or delete your Candidate Data under the terms above
- object to or restrict certain processing of your Candidate Data
- receive your Candidate Data in a usable electronic format and transmit it (data portability)
- withdraw your consent to the processing of your Candidate Data
To exercise these rights, please see below or submit your request here. Please note that in certain instances, exercising your rights to object to or restrict processing of your Candidate Data, or to withdraw consent relating to the processing of your Candidate Data, may impact our ability to consider you for a position with Uber. However, candidates will not be discriminated against for exercising these rights.
In addition, if you are a resident of the EEA, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority or regulatory body relating to Uber’s handling of your Candidate Data.
Uber processes your personal data pursuant to one or more of the following legal bases:
- The processing is necessary to take steps, at your request, relating to potentially entering into an employment contract with you.
- The processing is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, such as retaining records relating to the recruitment process for periods required under applicable laws.
- The processing is necessary in connection with Uber’s legitimate interests in recruiting and hiring the best candidates. For example, we process your Candidate Data to measure and improve the effectiveness of our recruitment process, or maintain historical records of the recruitment process and the outcomes of that process.
- We may also seek your consent to process or retain your Candidate Data in certain circumstances. For example, we may ask for your consent to retain your data so that you may be considered for future employment opportunities with Uber.
If you are applying for a position with us from outside the United States, the Candidate Data that we collect about you in the recruitment process may be transferred to, and stored on, our servers, located in the United States. Authorized employees of Uber and/or affiliated companies at locations outside the United States may have access to your Candidate Data as part of the recruitment process.
If you live outside the United States, including in the EEA, we transfer your Candidate Data on the basis of Standard Contractual Clauses, or other mechanisms approved by the European Commission.
We may change this notice from time to time. Any changes to this notice go into effect upon the effective date of the revised notice.
If you live in the EEA, you may submit questions and comments about this notice to:
Attn: Data Protection Officer
Mr. Treublaan 7, 1097 DP
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Uber Technologies, Inc.
Attn: Legal - Privacy
1515 3rd Street
San Francisco, CA 94158