The Uber Freight mobile applications and website match carriers with shippers. To enable these applications and websites (the “services”), Uber and its affiliates (collectively, “Uber Freight”) collect and use certain information about our users when they use or communicate with us regarding our services. This notice describes the personal data we collect from users of the services, how this data is used and shared, and users’ choices regarding this data.
This notice applies to users of Uber Freight’s services anywhere in the world.
This notice applies to all users of Uber Freight’s apps, websites, features, or other services anywhere in the world, unless covered by a separate privacy notice, such as the Uber User Privacy Notice. This notice specifically applies to Uber Freight:
- Carriers: individuals or entities that offer motor vehicles used to transport goods
- Commercial drivers: individuals licensed to operate motor vehicles to transport goods for or on behalf of carriers
- Shippers: any user of the services that is identified as the shipper, consignor, or consignee, or that owns the goods being transported
- Dispatchers: individuals who assign motor vehicles and commercial drivers for conveyance of freight
All those subject to this notice are referred to as “users” in this notice.
The practices described in this notice are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate. This means that we engage in the practices described in this notice in a particular country or region only if permitted under the laws of those places. Please contact us here or through the addresses below with any questions regarding our practices in a particular country or region.
Uber B.V. and Uber Technologies Inc. are the data controllers for the personal data collected in connection with the use of Uber Freight’s services in the European Economic Area and the United Kingdom.
Uber Technologies Inc. is the data controller for the personal data collected in connection with the use of Uber Freight’s services anywhere else.
Uber B.V. (Mr. Treublaan 7, 1097 DP, Amsterdam, the Netherlands) and Uber Technologies Inc. (1455 Market Street, San Francisco, CA, 94103, USA) (collectively, “Uber”) are the data controllers for the personal data collected in connection with the use of Uber Freight’s services in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and the United Kingdom.
Uber Technologies Inc. is the data controller for the personal data collected in connection with the use of Uber Freight’s services anywhere else.
We process personal data inside and outside the United States (“US”). The personal data of users outside the US is transferred on the basis of mechanisms approved under applicable laws, such as the Standard Contractual Clauses.
Uber Freight collects:
- Data provided by users to Uber Freight, such as during account creation
- Data created during use of our services, such as location, app usage, and device data
- Data from other sources, such as Uber Freight partners and third parties that use Uber Freight APIs
The following data is collected by or on behalf of Uber Freight:
1. Data provided by users. This includes:
- a) User profile: We collect data when users create, modify, or log in to their account; when they request support from or otherwise communicate with us; and if they interact with the services as a commercial driver or carrier dispatcher, submit information about their vehicle or insurance, or otherwise communicate with us. This may include their name, email address, phone number, postal address, vehicle registration information, insurance information, payment information, and other information they choose to provide. For users outside the EEA, this may also include login name and password, profile picture, and government identification documents, including driver’s license numbers and images, birthdate, signature, and photo.
- b) Demographic data: We may collect demographic data about users, including through user surveys. We may also receive demographic data about users from third parties.
- c) Data submitted through communications with Uber: We collect the information users submit when they contact Uber Freight customer support, provide facility ratings, or otherwise contact Uber Freight. This may include feedback, photographs, or other recordings collected by users.
2. Data created during use of our services. This includes:
- Location data: Our services require that we collect precise or approximate location data from commercial drivers’ and dispatchers’ mobile devices. We only collect such data where users have granted us permission to do so through the permission system used by their mobile device.
For users located outside the EEA, Uber Freight collects this data when the Uber Freight app is running in the foreground (app open and on-screen) or background (app open but not on-screen) of their mobile device.
For users located in the EEA, Uber Freight collects this data when the Uber Freight app is running in the foreground (app open and on-screen) of their mobile device. While actively on a load, we also collect this data when the Uber Freight app is running in the background (app open but not on-screen) of their mobile device, from dispatch until dropoff of a load.
- Transaction information: We collect transaction information related to the use of our services, including the type of services requested or provided, date and time the service was provided, distance traveled, payment amounts, and other related transaction details.
- Photos: We collect photos of bills of lading, freight, and other matters directly related to the services where users have uploaded such photos to the Uber Freight apps or websites.
- Usage data: We collect data about how users interact with our services (including analytics that we or third parties conduct for the purpose of improving our services). This includes data such as access dates and times, app features and/or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and third-party sites or services used before interacting with our services. In some cases, we collect this data through cookies, pixels, tags, and similar tracking technologies that create and maintain unique identifiers. To learn more about these technologies, please see our Cookie Notice.
- Device data: We may collect data about the devices used to access our services, including the hardware models, device IP address, operating systems and versions, software and file names and versions, preferred language, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial numbers, device motion data, and mobile network data.
- Communications data: We enable users to interact with one another and Uber Freight through Uber Freight’s mobile apps and websites. To provide this service, Uber Freight receives some data regarding the calls, texts, or other communications, including the date and time of the communications and the content of the communications. Uber Freight may also use this data for customer support services (including to resolve disputes between users), for safety and security purposes, to improve our products and services, and for analytics.
3. Data from other sources. For example:
- We may receive information about commercial drivers from other users such as carriers or shippers, or from other third parties. This includes information about their location, or feedback they receive from other Uber Freight users.
- We might receive information about a commercial driver or carrier from the regulatory bodies involved in the regulation of carriers.
- If users engage with a separate app or website that uses our API (or whose API we use), we may receive information about them or their connections from that site or app.
- We may receive information from publicly available sources and marketing service providers for lead generation. In the EEA, we will send users a notification if we collect their information through these resources.
- If users also interact with other Uber products and services, for instance to request or provide services through other Uber apps, we may combine or associate that information with information we have collected from them in their capacity as a user.
Uber Freight may combine the data collected from these sources with other data in its possession.
Uber Freight collects and uses data to arrange for reliable and convenient transportation of shipments, delivery, and other products and services. We also use the data we collect:
- To enhance the safety and security of our users and services
- For customer support
- For research and development
- To send marketing and non-marketing communications to users
- In connection with legal proceedings
Uber Freight does not sell or share user personal data with third parties for their direct marketing, except with users’ consent.
Uber Freight uses the data it collects for purposes including:
1. Providing services and features. Uber Freight uses the data we collect to provide, personalize, maintain, and improve our products and services.
This includes using the data to:
- Create and update users’ accounts
- Enable the matching of shipments with carriers and/or commercial drivers
- Track the status and location of shipments transported through the services, and determine other data relating to use of the services, such as how long a carrier and/or commercial driver has been at a pickup location to determine detention payments
- Send communications to other users of the services, such as shippers, regarding the progress of shipments transported through the services, such as estimated delivery arrival and delivery times
- Personalize and improve the services, including to develop new features and to provide or recommend shipments, features, content, and advertisements
- Offer, process, or facilitate payments for the services
- Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems; to conduct data analysis, testing, and research; and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends
2. Safety and security. We use personal data to help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our services and users. This includes:
- Using device, location, profile, usage, and other data to prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities
- Authenticating users
- Developing safety features
3. Customer support. Uber Freight uses the information we collect (including recordings of customer support calls with notice to and the consent of the user) to provide customer support, including to:
- Direct questions to the appropriate customer support person
- Investigate and address user concerns
- Monitor and improve our customer support responses and processes
4. Research and development. We may use the data we collect for testing, research, analysis, product development, and machine learning to improve the user experience. This helps us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, improve our ability to prevent the use of our services for illegal or improper purposes, develop new features and products, and facilitate finance solutions in connection with our services.
- 1) Marketing. Uber Freight may use the data we collect to market our services to our users. This includes sending users communications about Uber Freight services, features, promotions, sweepstakes, studies, surveys, news, updates, and events. For further details about third-party marketing, see below.
- We may use the data we collect to personalize the marketing communications (including advertisements) that we send, including based on user location, past use of Uber Freight’s services, and user preferences and settings.
- 2) Non-marketing communications. Uber Freight may use the data we collect to generate and provide users with receipts; inform them of changes to our terms, services, or policies; or send other communications that aren’t for the purpose of marketing the services or products of Uber Freight or its partners.
- 3) Legal proceedings and requirements. We may use the personal data we collect to investigate or address claims or disputes relating to use of Uber Freight’s services, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law, or as requested by regulators, government entities, and official inquiries.
- Authenticating users
- Remembering user preferences and settings
- Determining the popularity of content
- Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
- Analyzing site traffic and trends, and generally understanding the online behaviors and interests of people who interact with our services
Some of Uber Freight’s products, services, and features require that we share data with other users or at a user’s request. We may also share data with our affiliates, subsidiaries, and partners, for legal reasons or in connection with claims or disputes.
Uber Freight may share the data we collect:
1. With other users or third parties
This includes sharing data:
With other users or with third parties who require, request, or use such data in connection with transportation, logistics, delivery, and/or other related services arranged or performed by Uber Freight, such as rewards partners for fuel discounts and similar discount programs. We may also share commercial drivers’ names, vehicle license numbers, vehicle truck numbers, and approximate location with other users or third parties such as operators of a receiving facility. We may also share their vehicle truck number and vehicle license number with third parties, such as a pickup facility. We may also share carriers’ names with other users.
2. At users’ request
This includes sharing data:
- With other users in connection with services or features that require data sharing.
- With third parties in connection with Uber partnerships or promotions with those third parties. For example, if a user requests a service through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party, Uber Freight may share certain data with those third parties. This may include, for example, other services, platforms, apps, or websites that integrate with our APIs; those with an API or service with which we integrate; or other Uber Freight business partners and their users in connection with promotions, contests, or specialized services. The handling of such data by those third parties is subject to their privacy notices, and users should refer to those notices for more information on the handling of their data.
3. With the general public
Questions or comments from users submitted through public forums, such as blogs and social media pages, may be viewable by the public, including any personal data included in the questions or comments submitted by a user, or other features of the services that are viewable by the general public.
4. With Uber affiliates and third parties
We share data with Uber affiliates to help us provide our services or conduct data processing on our behalf, or for data centralization and/or logistics purposes. We also share data with third parties with whom users choose to let us share data, for example other apps or websites that integrate with our API or services, or those with an API or service with which we integrate.
5. With Uber Freight service providers and business partners
Uber Freight provides data to vendors, consultants, marketing partners, research firms, and other service providers or business partners. These include:
- Payment processors and facilitators
- Cloud storage providers
- Marketing partners and marketing platform providers, including social media advertising services
- Data analytics providers
- Research partners, including those performing surveys or research projects in partnership with Uber Freight or on Uber Freight’s behalf
- Vendors that assist Uber Freight to enhance the safety and security of its apps
- Consultants, lawyers, accountants, and other professional service providers
6. For legal reasons in the event of a dispute
Uber Freight may share users’ personal data if we believe it’s required by applicable law, regulation, operating license or agreement, legal process or governmental request, or where the disclosure is otherwise appropriate due to safety or similar concerns.
This includes sharing personal data with law enforcement officials, public health officials, other government authorities, or other third parties as necessary to enforce our Terms and Conditions, user agreements, or other policies; to protect Uber Freight’s rights or property or the rights, safety, or property of others; or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to the use of our services. In addition, where a user uses another person’s credit card, we may be required by law to share that user’s personal data with the owner of that credit card.
This also includes sharing personal data with others in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
7. Through social media sharing
The services may integrate with social media sharing features and other related tools, such as WhatsApp, which let users share actions they take on the services with other apps, sites, or media, and vice versa. Their use of such features enables the sharing of data with others, depending on the settings they establish with the social media sharing service. Please refer to the privacy notices of those social media sharing services for more information about how they handle the data provided to or shared through them.
8. With consent
Uber Freight may share a user’s personal data other than as described in this notice, if we notify the user and they consent to the sharing.
Uber Freight retains user profile, transaction, and other personal data for as long as a user maintains their Uber Freight account.
Uber Freight retains transaction, location, usage, and other information for as long as necessary, such as in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance, or other requirements in the places where it operates.
Users may request deletion of their accounts at any time. Following such request, Uber Freight deletes the data it is not required, or has no legitimate business purpose, to retain and restricts access to or use of remaining information it does retain
Uber Freight retains user profile and transaction information for as long as a user maintains their Uber Freight account. For carriers and/or commercial drivers, Uber Freight also retains information relating to their vehicle and licenses (to the extent permitted by law) for as long as they maintain their Uber Freight account.
Uber Freight retains location, device, and usage data for as long as necessary to provide services and comply with applicable regulatory, tax, insurance, litigation, and other legal requirements. Uber Freight may also use such information for purposes of safety, security, fraud prevention and detection, and research and development for as long as it retains such information.
Users outside the EEA may request the deletion of their account by emailing email@example.com. Users in the EEA may request deletion of their account at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Following such requests, Uber Freight deletes the data that it is not required to retain for purposes of regulatory, tax, insurance, litigation, or other legal requirements. In certain circumstances, Uber Freight may be unable to delete a user’s account, such as if there’s an outstanding credit on the account or an unresolved claim or dispute. Upon resolution of the issue preventing deletion, Uber Freight will delete the account as described above.
Uber Freight may also retain certain information if necessary for purposes of safety, security, and fraud prevention. For example, if we deactivate a user’s account because of unsafe behavior or security incidents, we may retain certain information about that account to prevent that user from opening a new Uber Freight account in the future.
We only collect and use personal data where we have lawful grounds to do so. These include processing user personal data to provide requested services and features, for purposes of Uber Freight’s legitimate interests or those of other parties, to fulfill our legal obligations, or based on consent.
We collect and use personal data only where we have one or more lawful grounds for doing so. Such grounds may vary depending on where our users are located, but generally include processing personal data:
1. To provide requested services and features
In order to provide our services, we must collect and use certain personal data. This includes:
2. For purposes of the legitimate interests of Uber Freight or other parties
This includes using personal data to maintain and enhance our users’ safety and security. For example, we use personal data to prevent use of our services by users who have engaged in inappropriate or dangerous behavior, such as by retaining data of banned users to prevent their use of Uber Freight’s apps.
This also includes purposes such as combating fraud; improving our services, direct marketing, machine learning, and research and development; and enforcing Uber Freight’s Terms and Conditions.
3. To fulfill Uber Freight’s legal obligations
Uber Freight is subject to the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions in which it operates that may require it to collect, process, retain, and disclose users’ personal data. We collect and use personal data to comply with such laws.
Uber Freight may also share data with law enforcement regarding criminal acts or threats to public safety, or requests by third parties pursuant to legal processes. For more information about such sharing, please see Uber’s Guidelines for Law Enforcement Authorities - United States, Guidelines for Law Enforcement Authorities - Outside the US, and Guidelines for Third Party Data Requests and Service of Legal Documents.
4. With consent
Uber Freight may collect and use personal data based on the user’s consent. For example, we may collect personal data through voluntary surveys.
Uber Freight enables users to access and control the data that it collects, including through:
- In-app settings
- Device permissions
- Marketing opt-outs
Uber Freight also enables users to request access to or copies of their data, changes or updates to their accounts, deletion of their accounts, or that Uber Freight restrict its processing of user personal data.
1. Device permissions
Most mobile device platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined certain types of device data that apps cannot access without the device owner’s permission, and these platforms have different methods for how that permission can be obtained. iOS devices notify users the first time the Uber Freight app requests permission to access certain types of data and gives users the option to grant or refuse permission. Android devices notify users of the permissions that the Uber Freight app seeks before their first use of the app, and use of the app constitutes a grant of such permission.
- Location data
We request permission for our app's collection of precise location from a user’s device (whether their own device or otherwise) per the permission system used by their mobile operating system. If they initially permit the collection of this data, they can later disable it by changing the location settings on their mobile device. However, they may not be able to use the Uber Freight app if they disable our collection of precise location data. Additionally, disabling our collection of precise location from their device will not limit our ability to derive an approximate location from their IP address to personalize the content of the websites and/or app.
- Important information about device permissions
The permissions requested by the Uber Freight app include permission to collect users’ location data for the purposes described above. For users outside the EEA, this permission enables Uber Freight to collect this data when the Uber Freight app is running in the foreground (app open and on-screen) or background (app open but not on-screen) of their mobile device.
For users in the EEA, this permission enables Uber Freight to collect this data when the Uber Freight app is running in the foreground (app open and on-screen) of their mobile device. If a user is actively on a load, we also collect this data when the Uber Freight app is running in the background (app open but not on-screen) of their mobile device, from dispatch until dropoff of a load.
Carriers and commercial drivers cannot use the Uber Freight app if they do not permit location data collection.
Please take the following steps to disable the Uber Freight app's ability to collect precise location data:
Settings → Privacy → Location Services → Uber Freight → choose Never
Settings → Apps → Uber Freight → scroll to Permission → toggle Location
On Android Lollipop (5.1) and earlier
Settings → Location → toggle Off
- Notifications: account and updates
Uber Freight provides users with notifications and updates related to activity on their account and booked loads. These notifications are a necessary part of using the Uber Freight app and cannot be disabled.
- Notifications: potential loads and news
Users may enable Uber Freight to send push notifications about potential loads and news from Uber Freight. Push notifications may be enabled or disabled through Settings on iOS or Android.
2. Marketing opt-outs
Users may opt out of receiving marketing emails and other messages from Uber Freight by following the unsubscribe instructions in those messages. We may still send opted-out users non-promotional communications, such as those about their account, services requested, or our ongoing business relations.
3. User data requests
Uber Freight provides users with a variety of ways to learn about, control, and submit requests, questions, and comments about Uber Freight’s handling of their data. Users may submit these by email to email@example.com if outside the EEA, and to firstname.lastname@example.org if in the EEA.
- Accessing data: Users can ask for an explanation of the data we collect from them and how we use it.
- Receiving data: Users can ask for a copy of data that Uber Freight has collected from them with their consent or as necessary to provide our services.
- Changing or updating data: Users can ask that Uber Freight change or update their data, including if they believe such data is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Deleting data: Users may request deletion of their account at any time by emailing email@example.com if outside the EEA, or firstname.lastname@example.org if in the EEA.
- Objections, restrictions, and complaints: Users may request that we stop using all or some of their personal data, or that we limit our use of their data. Uber Freight may continue to process data after such objection or request to the extent required or permitted by law.
In addition, depending on their location, users may have the right to file a complaint relating to Uber Freight’s handling of their personal data with the applicable data protection authority. Users can find the contact details of the data protection authorities in the EEA here. Users in the EEA may also file a complaint with the Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens, the Dutch Data Protection Authority:
2509 AJ Den Haag
We may occasionally update this notice. Use of our services after an update constitutes consent to the updated notice to the extent permitted by law.
We may occasionally update this notice. If we make significant changes, we will notify users in advance of the changes through the Uber Freight apps or through other means, such as email. We encourage users to periodically review this notice for the latest information on our privacy practices.
After such notice, use of our services by users in countries outside the EEA will be understood as consent to the updates to the extent permitted by law.