Uber is delighted to offer Partner Support Program for Delivery Partners in Japan, providing help to those who meet an accident while on an Uber delivery trip.
Here’s how it works.
This Partner Support program is offered under a comprehensive partnership agreement between Uber and Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance.
In addition to the existing third party liability insurance, the program covers the accidental personal injury in the event that a Delivery Partner is injured during delivery. The coverage period of this plan has also been extended from February 1, 2022.
Third Party Liability: Effective from the time a Delivery Partner (Uber Eats delivery partner who delivers by bicycle, moped, motorcycle, light vehicle, or on foot) accepts a delivery request until the delivery is completed or canceled.
Personal Injury for the Delivery Partner: Effective from the time a Delivery Partner (Uber Eats delivery partner who delivers by bicycle, moped, motorcycle, light vehicle, or on foot) accepts a delivery request until 15 minutes after the delivery is completed or canceled.
There is no need to opt-in and at no additional cost to Delivery Partners. If you are involved in an accident during a delivery, please contact the Police & Uber support immediately. Once we are informed of an accident, Uber's dedicated support will review and take required actions accordingly.
Third Party Liability
This policy provides Delivery Partners with protection against their legal liabilities for bodily injuries and property damage to third parties.
There is a limit of liability up to 100,000,000 yen.
- Delivery Partner hits a passerby during delivery
- Delivery Partner knocks over hot food accidentally and burns customer’s body at the time of delivery
- Delivery Partner hits and damages a customer’s house or another vehicle during delivery
*For Motorbike (under 125cc) Delivery Partners, the 50,000 yen deductible for third party property damage claim was removed from July 18, 2020.
This policy provides coverage such as medical expenses and daily payments to Delivery Partners who are injured in an accident during delivery, or within 15 minutes after the delivery is completed.
Please note that there are limits to the liability coverage. Please see the FAQ below for the details.
- Delivery Partner gets hit by another car during delivery and got injured
- Delivery Partner knocks over hot food accidentally and burns their body at the time of delivery
- What are the key features of this Personal Injury coverage?
Personal Injury coverage provides cover for injuries that are caused in an accident while a Delivery Partner is on a delivery. The key features are listed below.
Medical Expenses Cover: If an accident happens during a delivery, this cover reimburses you for medical treatment costs you have incurred following the accident (e.g. ambulance, X-ray, operations, medicines) up to 500,000 yen.
Death and Funeral Payments: In the event that you die as a result of an accident during a delivery, your heirs will benefit from a lump sum payment of 10,000,000 yen. They will also reimburse an additional sum of up to 1,000,000 yen for funeral expenses that may incur.
Permanent Disability Payments: In the event that you suffer a permanent disability as a result of an accident during a delivery, you will benefit from a payment of up to 10,000,000 yen. The amount depends on the severity of the disability.
Daily Payment Benefit due to Hospitalization: If you are injured and hospitalized as a result of an accident that happened during a delivery and are thereafter unable to work because of those injuries, you will receive a daily payment of 7,500 yen for up to 60 days whilst you are medically certified by a Doctor as unfit to work.
- Spouse / Dependent Children Benefit: In the event that you die as a result of an accident during a delivery, your spouse and dependent children (18 years old and younger) will benefit from a lump sum payment of 150,000 yen per person (maximum three persons).
- Research Expense for Permanent Disability: In the event that you suffer a permanent disability as a result of an accident during a delivery, this cover reimburses you for the actual expenses to determine the grade of permanent disability.
- Lump-sum for Hospitalization: If you are injured and hospitalized as a result of an accident that happened during a delivery, you will benefit from a lump-sum payment. When wearing a helmet, you will receive 20,000 yen. When not wearing a helmet, you wil receive 5,000 yen.
- Lump-sum for Surgery: If you are injured as a result of an accident that happened during a delivery and surgical treatment is required for those injuries, you will benefit from a lump-sum payment. If hospitalized and required overnight stay, you will receive 75,000 yen. In case of outpatient surgery, you will receive 37,500 yen.
*Note: All above covers are subject to prescribed conditions and limits, which Uber may amend at its discretion.
- What does ‘during a delivery’ mean? When am I protected?
You are protected from the moment you accept a delivery request, during the trip and through to when the trip ends or the delivery is cancelled.
- What are terms & conditions?
This program is provided to you subject to the following terms:
- Uber may withdraw, update or modify this program at any time at its sole discretion.
- This program is procured by Uber at its own discretion and cost.
- The program is subject to the terms and conditions issued by Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance.
- The Delivery Partner and Uber acknowledge and agree that the Delivery Partner can decide to opt-out from being covered by the program at any time by indicating they are declining the protection of the cover upon notice or request. Declining cover will not affect your ability to use the Uber App.
- Delivery Partners are independent contractors. This program does not in any way create an employment relationship or an expectation of employment (including from a labour law, tax law or social security law perspective) between Uber and the Delivery Partner.
- Does Partner Support Program replace my own vehicle motor insurance?
No, Partner Support Program does not provide compulsory vehicle insurance nor is it a substitute for compulsory vehicle insurance. Please contact your insurer, broker or agent if you have any questions regarding your motor insurance.
- How do I activate Partner Support Program?
You do not need to do anything. You are protected whenever you’re during a delivery using the Uber App on or after October 1st 2019.
- How do I claim?
In the event you’ve been in an accident and think you might have a claim, please report the accident via one of the following channels:
- To write in through the Uber app
- To call Uber’s partner support
For details, please refer to to link here.
- Does Personal Injury coverage apply to self-inflicted accidents?
Personal Injury coverage applies to self-inflicted accidents in principle unless one of the restrictions on payment is confirmed (e.g., an accident caused by intentional or gross negligence, driving under the influence of alcohol, etc.) Please refer to Article 5 of Regulations for Payment of Personal Accident for the restrictions on payment.
- Does the percentage of fault affect the amount of the payment?
It does not affect the payment amount in principle unless one of the restrictions on payment applies. (e.g., an accident caused by intentional or gross negligence, driving under the influence of alcohol, etc.) Please refer to Article 5 of Regulations for Payment of Personal Accident for the restrictions on payment.
- Does "Daily Payment Benefit due to Hospitalization" include "one-day hospitalization"?
Yes, it includes "one-day hospitalization."
- Do I have to use my health insurance to pay for my treatment?
No, you don't have to use it.
However, Medical Expenses Cover is limited, so if you need more treatment, please consider using your health insurance.
- Can Medical Expenses Cover be paid directly to a hospital on a hospital bill?
- How long will it take to receive Payment of Personal Accident after submitting an application form and other necessary documents?
If the documents are complete, it will take approximately two weeks after the documents arrive at Uber Eats support desk.
- I have been to three different hospitals. Do I need a medical certificate for each of them?
Yes, the medical certificates for each of the three different hospital are required.
The actual cost of treatment will be reimbursed according to the medical certificates and receipts of hospitals.
- I was initially unable to receive a prescribed medical certificate and obtained a hospital's medical certificate. Can I claim the expenses of both medical certificates?
Yes, you can claim the expenses of both medical certificates.
Please note that the medical certificates fee is calculated in treatment costs. The total treatment costs are limited to a maximum amount of Medical Expenses Cover.
- Why is Uber doing this?
Sometimes accidents happen on the road. We want to help you protect yourself against unexpected costs and lost earning opportunities due to accidental injuries sustained during your delivery.
We are proud to be industry leaders with Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance in being your partner on the road.
- Can I claim Payment of Personal Accident before my treatment is completed?
You can claim the payment by submitting the required documents, such as Permanent Disability Payments form, medical certificates, and receipts. If you have additional medical expenses after claiming, you will need to submit the necessary documents again. The total amount of each type of payment will be paid under the same accident or injury within the maximum amount.
- Is the Uber Eats's insurance program for third-parties applicable when the delivery partner has a voluntary car insurance policy (which covers the risk of motorbike, motor cycle over 125cc, and light four-wheel cargo)?
The voluntary car insurance purchased by the delivery partner will be primary and apply first before any Uber Eats's insurance program for the modes of transport above (motorbike, motor cycle over 125cc, and light four-wheel cargo). In this case, delivery partners can use Uber Eats's liability insurance program after the voluntary car insurance is exhausted.
- Does the injury protection program for delivery partners in the support program mean the government workers compensation program?
No, the program is not the government workers compensation program.
This coverage does not provide cover for third party liabilities that are payable under the compulsory automobile liability insurance and any voluntary insurance taken out by delivery partners for their motorbikes and Kei-cars.
This coverage does not provide coverage for Delivery Partners’ own property damage such as their motorbikes, bicycles, etc.