The Superintendent of Insurance of Alberta has approved a new ridesharing insurance policy for the province that will be available as of July 1. This new ridesharing insurance policy will provide protection to Albertans who use ridesharing platforms with coverage that is simple and seamless. Alberta is the first Canadian province to approve insurance products specifically tailored for ridesharing that provide coverage to all drivers and passengers. Every ridesharing driver operating on the Uber platform in Alberta will automatically be covered under this new ridesharing policy provided by Intact Insurance and purchased by Uber. This insurance coverage will include:
- $2 million of third party liability coverage per incident. This covers a rideshare driver’s liability to third parties from the moment a driver accepts an Uber trip until its conclusion.
- Alberta statutory accident benefits.
- Uninsured motorist coverage per incident. If another motorist causes an accident with a rideshare vehicle and that motorist doesn’t carry insurance or cannot be identified, this policy covers bodily injury to all occupants of the rideshare vehicle. This is important to ensure protection in a hit and run.
- Loss or damage to a vehicle. From the time a driver has accepted a trip until its completion, this policy covers loss or damage to the vehicle (deductible may apply).
- Coverage between trips. During the time that a ridesharing partner is available through the Uber app but has not yet accepted a trip, we maintain coverages consisting of $1 million of third party liability in the event that the rideshare driver’s own insurer denies coverage. Statutory accident benefits and uninsured motorist coverage are also included.
The certificate of insurance for this policy can be found here and a link to the policy itself is here. Intact Insurance, Novex, belairdirect, and Pembridge offer personal auto insurance policies for ridesharing. The provincial Transportation Network Company Certificate of approval is here. Note: In Canada, Uber driver-partners are able to accept requests for ridesharing services through the Uber app after contracting with Rasier Operations B.V..