As more people use Uber, feedback from riders and drivers has become an important source of inspiration for new app features. After all, no one knows better how to improve the Uber experience than the people who use it day in, day out.
Around South Africa, riders have been asking for an easy way to pay for Uber trips taken by their loved ones. Having taken that feedback into account, we are happy to introduce a new feature called Family Profiles.
This new feature allows up to 10 riders to safely and easily share one card as a payment method.
Here’s how it works:
For the Family Profile organiser:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Uber app.
- Go to Menu and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to “Add a Family Profile” and select the contacts you would like to add.
- As soon as the Family Profile rider accepts the invitation, they can begin requesting rides from their own phone using the Family Profile as their payment method.
- The cost of the trip will automatically be billed to the Family Profile and the organiser will receive a receipt for every ride.
For the Family Profile rider:
- Open the email invitation to Family Profiles and accept.
- The first time you ride, make sure you’re using the latest version of the app and choose the Family Profile as your default payment method.
- Once selected, request a ride as you normally would and get moving!
While we’ve called this feature Family Profiles, we let you decide who is family. It’s a great way to help loved ones, friends or colleagues get where they want to go while you foot the bill. Whether you’re a parent with kids away at university or a daughter wanting to help your parents maintain their independence, it’s never been easier to share some Uber love with the people that matter most in your life.
*Please note that Family Profiles will only work on accounts with a valid card on file. Accounts with only cash as the available payment method will not be able to create Family Profiles.
Team Uber South Africa