The fires in Somerset West in Cape Town which occurred this past week have left many in need of assistance from their city.
Strong winds on Tuesday evening led to massive veld fires spreading along on the upper slopes of the mountain in Somerset West, which have resulted in many having to evacuate their homes. Firefighters have been battling the blazes in the region since then, and they need as much support as possible to help keep them energised.
We remember how generous the people of Johannesburg were during our #UberCOMMUNITY campaign last year, so we decided to make donating much needed items and non-perishable goods quick and convenient for those in Cape Town.
On Friday, 6 January with the touch of a button, a driver partner will come to your doorstep, pick up your donations and deliver them directly to the Roeland Street Fire Station or Strand Fire Station — all for free!
What they need:
- Non-perishable goods
- Ready-to-eat foods
- Liquid refreshments
How it works:
- Open the app on Friday, 6 January, between 10:00 – 15:00
- Set the destination > Central Fire Station & Sentrale Brandsweerstasie
- Slide right and select UberCOMMUNITY
- Request as usual
- When the driver arrives – meet him at your pick up point with your donations.
Important to note:
- The donation drive will run between 10am – 3pm on Friday, 6 January. Requests must be placed within those hours.
- The designated pickup point must be within Cape Town, so that a driver-partners can collect your donations.
- All donations must be bagged or boxed in order for drivers to accept your donation. If possible, please mark clearly what you are donating!
- Please keep in mind that driver partners can’t leave vehicles unattended, so we ask that you bring your items out to meet your driver when they arrive.
- #UberCOMMUNITY will be in high demand so please be patient!
- If you are unable to request an #UberCOMMUNITY vehicle on the day, please drop off the much needed items at the Roeland Street Fire Station or Strand Fire Station.
- Successful redemption of this offer is subject to the availability of Uber partner-drivers. Access to and use of the Uber App will be subject to the standard terms and conditions applicable to all riders who use the platform.