The horrific war in Ukraine is rapidly becoming a tragic humanitarian crisis impacting millions of innocent people. Our teams are working 24/7 to keep impacted employees, riders, and drivers safe and are partnering with NGOs to support relief efforts on the ground.
As the situation continues to deteriorate we are joining the international community’s response to take further actions to support Ukraine, ensuring our efforts have a direct and meaningful impact for those most in need of help.
Here are a few of the actions we’re taking in our ongoing global response:
Supporting Ukrainian communities
- Humanitarian aid: Later this week, we will launch an in-app donation button to allow Uber riders in the US to make donations to the International Rescue Committee. We plan to make in-app donation features available to Uber users in more countries in the coming days. Uber will match donations made through this feature up to $1 million. We are also making an additional $500,000 donation to the International Federation of Red Cross and World Food Program USA in support of the UN World Food Programme’s humanitarian efforts in Ukraine and neighboring countries.
- Free rides at the border: We are providing unlimited free trips between the Ukrainian border and Polish cities to support refugees and their families, as well as free transportation for staff at Migrant Welcome Centers and for the delivery of goods to NGO warehouses in Poland.
- Food and essential supplies: We have collected 60 tons of essential supplies in Romania, and we’re now working with the International Red Cross to transport them to communities in Ukraine.
Supporting the Uber community
- Keeping drivers and riders safe: Shortly after attacks began, we decided to pause operations throughout Ukraine to protect the safety of drivers and riders. We remain committed to keeping cities moving and helping people travel during these difficult times, and we are assessing how to restore our services on a city-by-city basis, as soon as it is safe.
- Support for drivers: We have provided advance payments to all drivers in Ukraine and we are exploring how Ukrainian refugees can have access to work on the Uber platform in neighboring countries where we operate.
- Uber employees and their families: We are helping Ukraine staff and their families relocate to other countries or to areas of Ukraine not currently in danger of the conflict.
Our team continues to work around the clock to do everything we can to support Ukrainian communities impacted by the war.