Since its launch, Uber Lite has made getting a ride in low connectivity areas easier and more reliable. Built in India designed for the world, Uber Lite not only showcases our product and engineering talent in India, but it also enables us to offers Uber to people who couldn’t use our service before because of their phone type or network issues.
Since our launch in June, we’ve seen more than 2 million installations for Uber Lite and more than a million trips across the 14+ countries in which it is now live. We’re excited about the progress thus far but don’t want to stop innovating on our Uber Lite. That’s why we’re we’re excited to announce two new features that enable even more riders to use Uber Lite: Uber POOL and Paytm. Here’s how it works:
- Uber Pool, an affordable shared ride, is now on Uber Lite: Starting today, Uber’s most affordable option, Uber Pool, will be available for Uber Lite customers in India. Uber Lite customers can now share a ride and save money, even if they have an older phone or they’re in a place with low connectivity
- Paytm, India’s favourite digital payment, is now in Uber Lite, too: Starting today and rolling out over the coming weeks, riders in India can pay in both Cash and with PayTM. PayTM is a hassle-free digital payment method that gets you on your way quicker. No need to wait for change or worry about finding spare cash when you’re paying for your Uber. Plus, users can top-up easily, recharge their balance, book, and pay for an Uber- even in low connectivity
Designed to make booking rides quicker and more reliable in spotty connectivity and on all types of Android devices, here’s a quick reminder of what else is available on Uber Lite:
- Light on your phone: Uber Lite is less than 5MB to download (that’s equivalent to just 3 selfies). A smaller app frees up space for actual selfies and other apps. And, with a 300-millisecond response time (literally the blink of the eye), the booking process is fast even in low connectivity.
- Smoother pickups at popular landmarks: Uber Lite guides users through the request experience by detecting their current location, so minimal typing is required. If it can’t detect your location because of GPS or network issues, it guides you to choose popular landmarks nearby (which is how most people in India communicate their location).
- More tapping, less typing: Uber Lite makes picking your destination as easy as a tap of a button. Instead of typing where you are, you can choose a nearby point of interest. Additionally, the app stores the city’s top places so that even when you are offline, no network is needed for them to appear. And the more you use Uber Lite, the smarter the app gets. It learns where you go most often, and surfaces those options first. This feature is particularly convenient for people with phones with smaller screens.
- Maps, only if you need them: To keep the app light and fast, maps in Uber Lite are not loaded by default, but are available with a tap when you need them.
Stay tuned for more updates about Uber Lite and our mission to make getting a ride even easier in India, and all over the world.