We’ve all been there: that moment of panic when you first realize you’ve misplaced an important, or even sentimental, personal item. With Uber, you always have the option to contact support so you can attempt retrieving your belongings.
We’ve released the 2023 edition of our Lost and Found Index, a snapshot of the most frequently forgotten items, the most forgetful cities, as well as the days of the week and times of the year when you tend to be most forgetful.
Delhi bagged the title of the most forgetful city in the country, ending Mumbai’s two-year run at the top. Hyderabad made an entry into the top 4 most forgetful cities for the first time, while 2019’s most forgetful city, Bangalore, made a comeback, being the 4th most forgetful city.
This annual survey is a fun and informative way of reminding you how easy it is to raise a retrieval request for a lost item in-app, and with a busy summer travel season on the anvil, we thought it was a good time for a quick refresher.
Over the last year, objects including phones, bags, wallets and clothing top the list of items left in Ubers across India, followed by utility items such water bottles, keys, and accessories such as spectacles and jewelry. Indians also forgot unique things such as brooms, college admit cards, and their kid’s stroller. A rider forgot their walking stick, and another forgot nothing short of a big screen television in their Uber.
- People are most likely to forget belongings in an Uber on lazy Saturdays
- People forgot 3 times more Android phones than iPhones in Ubers
- People tend to forget red coloured items the most in Ubers
- Evenings made people most forgetful, with most items left behind around 7PM
Below is the snapshot of insights from the Uber Lost and Found Index India 2023:
Top 10 Most Commonly Forgotten Items
- Laptop bags
- Water Bottle
Top 4 Most ‘Forgetful’ Cities
Top 3 Most Forgetful Days of the Year
- March 26
- April 9
- April 8
Top 3 Most Forgetful Days of the Week: The Weekend
The Most Forgetful Time of the Day for Indians: Evenings
- 7 pm
- 8 pm
- 6 pm
Top 5 Colours of Forgotten Items
Top 3 Phone Brands Left in Ubers
Top 10 Most Unique Lost Items
- Western Commode
- 3 Packets of Milk, and Curtains
- College admit card
- Walking stick
- Induction stove
- Family collage
- Heavy machinery
- Printed ‘dupatta’ (scarf)
Here’s a quick guide for riders looking for “Lost Items”:
- Tap on “Menu” icon
- Tap “Your Trips” and select the trip where you left something
- Tap “Report an issue with this trip”
- Tap “I lost an item”
- Tap “Contact my driver about a lost item”
- Scroll down and enter the phone number you would like to be contacted at. Tap submit
- If you lost your phone, enter a friend’s phone number instead
- Your phone will ring and connect you directly with your driver’s mobile number.
- If your driver picks up and confirms that your item has been found, coordinate a mutually convenient time and place to meet for its return to you
- If you are unable to connect with the driver, use ‘in-app support’ to report the loss, and Uber Support Team will step in to help you