As more people use Uber, feedback from riders and drivers has become an important source of inspiration for new app features. After all, no one knows better how to improve the Uber experience than the people who use it day in, day out.
One feature that passengers have frequently requested is an easy way to pay for family and friends. That’s why we are excited to announce Family Profiles, a new feature that lets up to 10 riders safely and easily share one payment method. While we’ve called this feature Family Profiles, you decide who is family. It’s a great way to help loved ones, friends or coworkers get where they want to go by taking care of the fare.
Moreover, ensuring your loved ones are taken care of when you’re not together extends beyond just covering the cost of a ride–whether you have a spouse traveling for work, a daughter heading home from college, or a parent going to a doctor’s appointment.
By adding those closest to you to a Family Profile, you will receive automatic notifications and have the ability to follow along on the map whenever they are riding on your Family Profile. So, the next time one of your family members is headed out–you’ll know when they are on their way, which route they are taking and when they’ve arrived.
For the Family Profile Organizer
How to set up a Family Profile:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Uber app.
- Go to Menu and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to “Add a Family Profile”.
- Select the contacts you would like to add.
- As soon as the Family Profile rider accepts the invitation, they can begin requesting rides from their own phone using the Family Profile as their payment method.
- The cost of the trip will automatically be billed to the Family Profile and the organizer will receive a receipt for every ride.
How to follow along with a Family Profile member’s trip:
- When one of your members takes a ride with Uber under the Family Profile, you’ll be automatically notified with their trip details.
- You can follow the trip’s progress live on the map within your own Uber app.
For the Family Profile Rider
How to take a trip on a Family Profile:
- Open the email invitation to Family Profiles and accept.
- The first time you ride, make sure you’re using the latest version of the app.
- Choose the Family Profile as your default payment method from the dropdown menu.
- Once selected, request a ride as you normally would and get moving!
The Family Profiles feature is now available to all riders in Toronto and Ottawa, helping you stay in the know when your group is on the go.