Uber is piloting a new product to keep friends and family connected during our time of physical distancing. This contactless delivery offering means you can still share special moments with those who matter most to you.
Uber Connect allows users to send much-needed packages to family and friends. It’s an affordable same-day, contactless delivery solution that keeps people feeling connected.
Whether it’s a care package for a loved one, a board game for a friend’s birthday or an extra roll of much-needed toilet paper, you can send it by requesting “Uber Connect” through the Uber app.
Now you can get your relatives an iPad to FaceTime you on, challenge your friends to complete your 5,000 piece puzzle, have the kids create a work of art for grandma and get it over to her house before dinner, send props to all your virtual game night opponents, or share your stash of flour with the friend who’s been baking up a storm.
We’re excited to see the creative ways that users will continue to do their part by staying home, but using technology to stay connected. We may be physically apart but we’re all finding creative ways to connect and share the love during this tough time.
Dom Taylor, General Manager of Uber Australia said Uber Connect was designed to help people stay home, while staying connected to those who matter most to them.
“During this challenging time for Aussies we wanted to create an affordable way for people to create magic moments or send essential items to each other. We know Aussies want to help each other out and have seen a tremendous sense of community rise up in the recent weeks. While we’re urging people to stay home and not to travel, there’s no need to not feel connected.”
Uber Connect is one way for Aussies to move what matters most. As part of Uber’s commitment to moving what matters, we’re also providing elderly Australian pet owners 20,000 free deliveries in partnership with Petbarn, and getting 25,000 free meals to frontline healthcare workers.
How it works:
Uber Connect is currently available in Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Perth, Hobart, Cairns, Sunshine Coast, Geelong, Darwin, and Townsville.
- Package the items in a sealed box or bag, wiping down surfaces with disinfectant.
- Tell your driver-partner ‘Where to?’ in your Uber app.
- Choose Uber Connect as the ride (you may have to swipe up for the option).
- Follow the notifications: You’ll get notifications providing instructions on how to help ensure a smooth pickup and when your driver-partner is arriving, just as you would with an UberX trip. As you see the car approach in the app, you should head outside and load your item into the car boot.
- Share the trip status with up to 5 people in your contact list. Unless it’s a surprise gift, one of these should be the recipient so they can easily monitor the delivery’s progress.