What to expect during the month-long festival
Vivid Sydney kicks off Friday 24 May, igniting the city with 23 days of awe-inspiring light, music, and ideas. This annual festival brings together some of the world’s best displays of art, technology and commerce and it’s an incredible time to get out and about in the city.
With over 2 million people expected to attend the festival, we’re expecting a lot more riders will be requesting trips to and from the city centre before the festival ends on 15 June, so it’s a great opportunity to be out on the road earning with the Uber app.
Popular pickup and drop-off points
Riders will likely be heading to and from these festival hotspots starting at 6pm:
- Circular Quay and the Sydney Opera House
- The Rocks
- The Royal Botanic Garden Sydney
- Darling Harbour
- Harbour Lights
- Luna Park Sydney
- Taronga Zoo
There will be extensive road closures for the duration of Vivid Sydney, with most expected at the following times:
- Monday to Thursday nights: minor closures from 7pm to midnight
- Friday nights: moderate closures from 6pm to midnight
- Saturday and Sunday nights (and Public Holiday): major closures from 5pm to midnight
Special event clearways will also be in effect in the city between 3pm and midnight each night. Clearways are no parking zones that apply even for local residents and Mobility Parking Scheme permit holders.
For up-to-date information on closures, check your Driver app. We’ll do everything we can to provide information that will make your driving experience as smooth as possible. A full breakdown of closures by time and day is available.
Your safety during Vivid Sydney
Safety is our top priority, so keep the following tips in mind when you’re on the road:
- Avoid pickups in restricted areas
- Be cautious when driving in crowded areas and follow standard traffic laws
- Confirm your rider’s name to ensure the right person who requested is in your vehicle
You can check out the safety features available to you here.
We hope you take the opportunity to make the most of this exciting time in our city.