In 2016, there were 129,395 reportable traffic crashes in Pennsylvania, claiming the lives of 1,188 people and injuring another 82,971. Globally, the number of lives lost in traffic crashes exceeds one million.
At Uber, we’re working to help realize Vision Zero’s goal of reducing traffic deaths and injuries to zero. That’s why we’re raising awareness about speed and sharing some tips on how riders and drivers can reduce the danger from speeding.
Here’s what you can do to help:
- Please don’t ask your driver to speed. While we all know what it’s like to be in a rush, it’s important to everyone that drivers observe speed limits – this helps keep you safe and can help prevent drivers from having to pay costly fines.
- Give driver feedback for unsafe driving. Our two-way feedback system enables you to provide direct feedback if safe driving is an issue on your ride.
- Thank your driver for a safe trip. Share a compliment or tip your driver for safely getting you to your destination.
- Obey the speed limit and road conditions. Exceeding the speed limit, or traveling too fast for road conditions, can increase your chances of being in a crash. Driving at the speed limit helps prevent crashes and, if they do occur, lessens the severity of incident.*
- Save money at the pump. Staying at or under the speed limit, and driving at a consistent rate of speed, can help save gas. According to the Department of Energy, this can lower your gas mileage by roughly 15% to 30% at highway speeds and 10% to 40% in stop-and-go traffic.**
- Let us know if a rider pressures you to break the law. Our two-way feedback system allows you to rate your rider and to notify us of any inappropriate or threatening behavior. If a rider ever pressures you to speed or otherwise violate the rules of the road, you can provide feedback through the app.