The following terms and conditions (the “Rules”) apply exclusively to the aforementioned promotional competition and all Participants are deemed to have read, understood and accepted the same, by virtue of utilizing and/or rendering services via the Uber platform:
- This Promotional Competition (“Competition”) is organised by Uber Eats South Africa Proprietary Limited (“Promoter”). For the sake of clarity, all Participants (as defined below) acknowledge and agree that neither Uber Eats South Africa Proprietary Limited nor any of its affiliates, holding companies, advertising agencies, advisers, nominated agents, partners, suppliers, subsidiaries and/or related/associated entities shall be considered as co-promoters of this Competition.
- The Competition commences at 00:01 on 25 July 2023 and ends at 23:59 on 9 August 2023 (“the Competition Period”).
- The Competition is only open to Participants, where a Participant is:
a. an active delivery person in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, East London, Bloemfontein and Port Elizabeth who has utilised and rendered their independent personal services through the Uber Eats platform in South Africa;
b. has completed at least 1 (one) trip organised via the platform 90 (ninety) days prior to the commencement of the Competition Period; and
c. has been nominated as a Participant by a Nominator in terms of these Rules.
- The Competition is specifically not open to:
a. any person who is directly or indirectly involved or associated with the control of the Promoter or is controlled by the Promoter;
b. an employee, director, member, partner, agent or consultant of the Promoter;
c. an employee, director, member, partner, agent or consultant of the Promoter’s advertising agencies, advisers, dealers and suppliers;
d. immediate family members of any of the persons mentioned in paragraphs a – c above; and
e. any delivery person who is waitlisted and/or deactivated from Uber Eats app at any time during the Competition Period
- By taking part in the Competition, either wittingly or unwittingly, all Participants and the Winner agree to be bound by these Rules. Any dispute or uncertainty, of any nature, in relation to the Competition and the Rules, shall be decided and resolved by the Promoter, in its sole and absolute discretion, whose decision shall be final and binding on all affected or related persons. The Promoter expressly reserves the right at any time and without notice to the Participants or any other persons, and for any reason which the Promoter reasonably deems necessary or appropriate, in its sole and absolute discretion, to (i) amend, modify, or change these Rules and/or any prize and (ii) postpone, suspend or cancel this Competition and/or any prize, or any aspect thereof.
- The Competition is only valid within South Africa in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, East London, Bloemfontein and Port Elizabeth. Participants must be within South Africa at the time of entering and/or participating in the Competition for any potential verification process (to the extent necessary). Participants must be within South Africa at the time any Prize is awarded should the Participants be declared the Winner, failing which such person will be disqualified or ineligible and a different Winner shall be chosen under the same terms and conditions.
- In order to be eligible for the Competition, and stand a chance to win the Prize, Participants must be nominated. A nomination may be made by an active delivery person (not limited to a Participant) who has utilised and rendered their independent personal services through the Uber Eats platform in South Africa and has completed at least 1 (one) trip organised via the platform 90 (ninety) days prior to 25 July 2023 (“Nominator”). All nominations by a Nominator must be made via a survey organised by the Promoter. The Nominator cannot nominate themselves.
- A Nominator may nominate a maximum of 3 (three) Participants, with such nominations being based on whether or not, in the opinion of the Nominator, such Participants exemplify the “best delivery person” in the city in which the Nominator operates. To assist the Nominator, the assessment and nomination of a Participant may be based on the following criteria:
a. Going the extra mile for merchants & customers;
b. Always doing the right thing;
c. Always online and completing orders;
d. Taking pride in delivering;
e. Customer service beyond delivery;
f. Actively supporting other delivery people, online and offline;
g. Demonstrating that safety comes first; and
h. Getting along with all other delivery people and merchants.
- Where a Participant has been nominated, the Participants with the 2 (two) highest number of nominations in each city as listed in paragraph 3 (a) above will be shortlisted.
- Where Participants have been shortlisted, a second survey organised by the Promoter will be sent out to all delivery people in each of the participating cities, wherein such delivery people will have the opportunity to vote for the shortlisted Participant they believe exemplifies the “best delivery person”. In order to assist delivery people in voting, such a second survey organised by the Promoter, will include relevant information related to the shortlisted Participants.
- Participants in each city as listed in paragraph 3.1 above stand a chance of winning the following prize (“Prize”):
1 x Legends Barber gift card; and
1 x Mobile telephone sim/data deal.
- The shortlisted Participant in each city as listed in paragraph 3.1 above who receives the most number of votes during the second survey will be the Winner. The Winner will be announced at an event to be held in Johannesburg on [05 September 2023] (the “Event”) and, in order to be declared the Winner, the Winner must be personally present at the Event.
- The Winner must confirm their acceptance of the Prize at the Event. If the Winner does not accept the Prize, the Winner will forfeit the Prize, and the Promoter, in its sole and absolute discretion may award the Prize to another Participant, after following the same process explained in these Competition Rules, or declare that the Competition be closed with no Winner.
- Once the Winner has received the Prize, ownership of and risk in and benefit attaching to the Prize will pass on to the Winner immediately upon delivery of the Prize to the Winner.
- If a Participant or the Winner (i) participated in the Competition or (ii) successfully received the Prize, in a manner, which in the Promoter’s sole discretion, provided the Participant or Winner with an unfair advantage over other entrants or Participants, such a Participant and/or Winner will be disqualified from this and potentially all future competitions run by the Promoter.
- The Winner is obligated to behave responsibly and comply with the Competition Rules and all reasonable requests of the Promoter and its agents.
- The Prize is neither transferable nor redeemable for cash.
- All Participants and the Winner indemnify the Promoter, it’s advertising agencies, advisers, nominated agents, partners, suppliers and Uber Technologies Inc., its affiliates and/or associated companies against any and all claims of any nature whatsoever arising out of and/or from their participation in and/or use of any Prize in any way whatsoever in relation to this Competition (including, as a result of any act or omission, whether as a result of negligence, misrepresentation, misconduct or otherwise on the part of the Promoter and/or use of the Prize).
- By entering into the Competition, the Participants agree that, should they be declared the Winner, Uber Technologies Inc. and its affiliates (including the Promoter, the Promoter’s advertising agencies, advisers, nominated agents, partners and suppliers) may contact the Winner via telephone call and email and/or use their names for any promotional reasons and activities. Uber Technologies Inc. and its affiliates, including the Promoter shall treat any personal information collected from the Participants and Winner in accordance with the Privacy Notice.
- The Promoter may require the Winner to complete and submit an information disclosure agreement and indemnification to enable the Promoter to ensure compliance with these Rules and the Consumer Protection Act 68 of 2008. Should the Winner refuse or be unable to comply with this rule for any reason, such Winner will be deemed to have rejected the Prize and it shall revert back to the Promoter.
- The Promoter may require the Winner to be identified, photographed and published in printed media, or to appear in other marketing and promotional channels, including social media posts, when accepting their Prize or after having received their Prize. The Promoter may use the identification of the Winner and their images in whole or in part, and any reproductions thereof, worldwide for advertising, promotion, publicity or otherwise on any website for any media purpose and for any other lawful purpose whatsoever. Should the Winner refuse or be unable to comply with this rule for any reason, such Winner will be deemed to have rejected the Prize and it shall revert back to the Promoter.
- All queries relating to the Competition can be directed to the Promoter on on https://help.uber.com/ or via Twitter using the handle Uber_RSA. A copy of the Competition Rules is available at no cost to the participants and can be downloaded in printable form at www.uber.com/blog/terms-and-conditions-governing-participation-in-the-cape-town-e-prix-2023-ticket-giveaway-competition/.
Posted by Uber Eats South Africa
National Survey of Delivery People
Up: Portable Microservices Ready for the Cloud
Accelerating Advertising Optimization: Unleashing the Power of Ads Simulation
Case study: DART goes big in 30 zones