We’re excited to announce a further commitment to driver-partner protection in South Africa, with an expansion of our collaboration with global insurance leader, Chubb Insurance South Africa Limited. From today, all driver-partners and Uber Eats delivery partners using the Uber App in South Africa are automatically covered with injury insurance from Chubb at no cost to them!
In the unfortunate event of an accident or a crime-related incident resulting in an injury during a trip, drivers and delivery-partners will have access to the following benefits:
- Emergency medical treatment: if an accident happens On-Trip, this cover reimburses drivers for emergency medical treatment costs they have incurred in the first 48 hours following the accident up to a capped sum. In addition, this cover reimburses ambulance service costs and provides drivers with an immediate small lump sum payment to cover their basic expenses following the accident.
- Death and final payments: in the unfortunate event that a driver dies as a result of an accident On-Trip, their dependents or heirs will benefit from a lump sum payment. They will also obtain an additional lump sum amount which can be used as they deem fit.
- Permanent disability payments: in the unfortunate event that a driver suffers a permanent disability as a result of an accident On-Trip, they will benefit from a lump sum payment. The amount depends on the severity of the disability, as determined by Chubb Insurance.
- Daily confinement payment: if a driver is hospitalized for more than 24 hours they will receive a daily payment for up to 30 days for each day that they have to remain in the hospital. This is non-medical expense cover as a result of hospitalisation and not a substitute for medical aid cover.
- Daily payment benefit (injury): if a driver is hospitalized for more than 48 hours as a result of an accident that happened On-Trip and are thereafter unable to drive because of those injuries, they will receive a daily payment for up to 30 days whilst they are medically certified by a doctor as unfit to work.
Partner Injury Protection has been tailored specifically for those on the road, and builds on Uber’s existing security structure while ensuring a safer ride during every journey booked through the Uber app. This is just part of our ongoing efforts to support partners on the road, and we will continue to do our best to provide them with more peace of mind going forward.