Cairo, you asked and we listened. Choice is a beautiful thing and soon many of you will be able to pay for Uber rides using cash. That’s right – you get all the Uber awesomeness and even more options when it comes to paying for your ride. Simply choose the CASH option, take a ride and pay your driver directly in cash at the end of the trip.
This is an experiment and only the seventh place in the world where cash payment is available across the 345+ cities where Uber is available. We have worked hard to create a seamless option that is truly Uber.
Cairo was selected for this experiment because we have a low credit and debit card penetration and therefore provides us with an ideal environment to test a new payment option thanks to you: our growing, large and sophisticated rider and driver community. The insight and feedback we get from your use is what will make this a successful test. So take rides and share your feedback with us at help.uber.com.
CASH OPTION WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE TO A LIMITED NUMBER OF RIDERS AS WE CONTINUE TO TEST IT OUT
If you do not see the cash option then worry not. We will roll out gradually over the next few weeks. Not all of you will see cash right away as we are testing different cohorts and user preferences.
The growth rate and exponential demand for Uber in Cairo has been amazing, and we are excited to experiment with cash payments on our platform. Uber riders in Cairo already have access to a reliable, convenient and safe transportation so paying by cash means even more people can enjoy this.
HOW DOES IT WORK
- Open up the app and set your pick-up location
- Select ‘CASH’ as your payment option
- Request your UberX
- Before you get out, pay the amount shown directly to the driver – No haggling required!
- Not everyone will see the cash option right away as we are testing and rolling it out slowly (we cannot take requests for cash so please bear with us in the meantime)
- Cash option is only available for trips in Cairo
- A valid Uber account is needed to be able to book a ride and pay in cash
- No credit card details are required when signing up for Uber and paying in cash (for selected riders only)
- Fare adjustments are not possible for cash rides
- There is no booking fee or additional charge to riders
ANNOUNCING NEW MINIMUM FARE
Our goal is to be as reliable as possible in connecting you with a driver whenever you need one. As we continue to scale in the beautiful city and roll-out cash while improving effeciency, we are changing our minimum fare from 8 EGP to 10 EGP to better help us manage this change. Efficiency and reliability are of paramount importance to us here at Uber and this slight change in minimum fare still ensures that we are cheapest ride in town!