What You’ll Do
- Design, build, and field test computer vision algorithms for novel robotics systems.
- Collaborate with other members of the eng team help develop sensing and perception solutions for the large, meaningful problems facing our light electric vehicle fleets.
- Deliver eng work against a rational monthly/quarterly plan and clearly defined priorities to translate product vision and customer needs into sensible technical solutions.
Do you live on the edge between research and engineering, especially in areas like machine learning and computer vision? Do you like not just inventing new algorithms, but seeing them all the way into devices that move through the real world? We're looking for people who have the following characteristics:
- Fast learner. We're looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the fast pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you're confident it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team -- that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
An Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Masters in EE, CS or related disciplines. PhD preferred
- 5+ years of industry/academic experience
- Expertise with computer vision and/or machine learning, especially deep learning.
- Familiarity with deep learning frameworks such as Tensorflow, Keras, Pytorch
- Interest in applying machine learning & computer vision to resource constrained devices (such as mobile phones)
- Ability to whiteboard some theory while at the same time rolling up your sleeves and get coding
- Interest and willingness in being a hands on contributor to the design and construction of new robotics systems - you’ll build hardware, write code, participate in field trials, and assist with production-scale integration
- Understand research papers and be able to translate the ideas into efficient code quickly
- Data oriented - i.e. be able to set up experiments to measure things that will in turn drive decisions
About the Team
Uber revolutionized urban transportation, but we have no intention to stop there. New Mobility, also known as "NeMo", is a new org with the mandate to build and scale the next set of mobility businesses that will help Uber evolve into a multi-modal platform. As a high-growth "startup org" within Uber, NeMo is fast-paced, constantly evolving, and highly rewarding. If you're eager to bring Uber's vision as a platform to life, and are motivated by challenge, read on.