What You’ll Do
- You'll be in charge of interface copy in our apps, which not only propel digital experiences, but also physical ones. That means writing words that move people around the world (literally and figuratively).
- Contribute order and process to the UX Writing program at Uber, building innovative and effective guidelines, best practices, and tools.
- Mentor and inspire others in the practice and impact of UX Writing.
- Create compelling long-term strategies that allow content to scale globally.
- Use metrics and research to inform and validate your work.
- Collaborate with visual designers, engineers, product managers, product marketing, and many others to bring your creations to life.
- Work with legal, localization, and support to ensure our products are appropriately and responsibly launched.
- Change gears easily, working with different products and teams.
What You’ll Need
- 5+ years of UX writing or related experience writing user interface copy in a global software development environment
- A portfolio of samples that demonstrate your skill and effectiveness as a UX Writer in a digital product development team.
- A mastery of clear, precise writing that sometimes even sings.
- A passion for designing products for a global audience: not just through translation, but reimagining products so that they’re effective in cultures around the world.
- An eagerness to use research and metrics to discover the most effective language for every context and to measure the impact of your work at furthering customer and product goals.
- A willingness to pitch ideas to cross-functional stakeholders, and an understanding of when it makes sense to push back and when it doesn't.
- The ability to strategically prioritize multiple projects for yourself and more junior writers and designers. You'll have plenty to do—know where our efforts will have the most impact.
- A gift for teaching the craft of UX Writing to other writers, as well our design and product partners.
- An appetite for problem solving in a landscape that changes quickly. If you like to identify gaps in processes, inefficiencies that could be smoothed over, or things that simply could work better, you'll fit right in.
Bonus Points If You have...
- A degree in English, Psychology, Design, Linguistics, HCI or any area that emphasizes the analysis and use of language or narrative and systematic thinking.
- Background in user experience or product design. Copywriting or content strategy experience in other environments is also useful, as long as you can articulate how your approach would or wouldn’t adapt to the world of apps.
- Experience writing for spoken interfaces or other writing that’s meant to be spoken in apps, on the air, or on the stage.
About the Teams
Look around you: everything you see in the built environment was at some point on a truck. The complex interwoven world of freight allows for our modern way of life to exist by putting food in grocery stores, building materials at construction sites, and the clothes you wear on your back.
But the $4 trillion freight industry is plagued with inefficiencies that go back decades. Wasted time, wasted effort, and missed earnings opportunities are the status quo. Enter Uber Freight: we connect shippers with truckers, much like the way that Uber connects riders and drivers.
On the Uber Freight team, we believe that our dedication to transportation technologies will bring more harmonious, highly efficient, and increasingly safer transportation logistics to our roads.
The NeMo team is focused on expanding Uber's services into electric bikes, scooters, and beyond. This role will work closely with the Jump bikes team and be based in Pier 70 of San Francisco. The Jump team was acquired by Uber in mid-2018. The team is composed of industrial designer, hardware, software, and electrical engineers.
The Money team is an emerging area within Uber. As millions of transactions happen over our network every day, we have an opportunity to bring the very best of financial experiences to our customers. In this role, you will be working with cross functional partners around the future of our financial experiences for riders, drivers, eaters, freighters and more. From earnings enhancements to long term relationship building, some of the most complex challenges for the gig economy worker will be yours to solve.
Trust & Safety
On Uber’s Trust & Safety team, we design highly visible products to make riders, drivers, and cities even safer. Our Driving Safety products automatically detect dangerous driving situations and help reinforce safe driving habits. Our Personal Safety products help drivers and riders feel more supported while on the road — everything from sharing trip status to seamlessly connecting with emergency services. We take a global mindset to solve problems everywhere from Brazil to Bangkok.