Information for drivers
Learn how dropping off and picking up airport riders works at IAD.
Airport regulations for drivers
Per airport regulations, drivers must adhere to the terms below while on airport property. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation from airport authorities or a loss of access to airport trips on the Uber platform. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that drivers may incur.
- When on airport property waiting for trip requests, the driver app must be open and online at all times (drivers must not go offline until exiting the airport area)
- Drivers may wait for requests in the designated waiting area located at the corner of Autopilot Driver and Rudder Road, north of the airport (see map below)
- Drivers waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the driver app
- Waiting at terminals or elsewhere on airport property is prohibited and may result in a citation
- All ride pickups must occur at the upper section of the Arrivals level (see map below)
- The Uber decal (trade dress) for vehicles must always be displayed on the rear passenger window facing outward. Drivers can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub.
Important changes at IAD
Starting August 18, 2020, pickups at IAD will take place in a new location. Pickups will no longer be permitted on the Arrivals or Departures curbs.
Pickups will occur in the new TNC-only pickup zone located in the parking lot directly in front of the current Arrivals area. Drivers should enter this new zone via a dedicated entrance that will be marked by airport signage.
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, the waiting area is located at the corner of Autopilot Drive and Rudder Road, north of the airport (see map below).
In order to receive trip requests while at IAD, you need to enter the designated queue zone. You will then be placed in a virtual queue to receive a trip request.
Some things to know about designated queue zones:
- Proximity to the terminal within the designated queue zone does not create an advantage for drivers or move you closer to the top of the queue
- If there are no drivers in the designated queue zone, trip requests will go to drivers in the area - outside of the designated - based on proximity and other factors
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline in the app
- You drive outside the designated queue zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel multiple rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain in the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at the airport is located at the upper section of the Arrivals level (see map below).
The Uber app is available to travelers heading to Dulles International Airport.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders can be dropped off on the Departures level. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the driver app open and online to maintain your place in the queue.
We've also launched the Re-Match feature at IAD. Re-Match allows drivers who just completed an airport dropoff the possibility of receiving a pickup request without having to go to the waiting lot.
Once you drop off at the airport, you may head toward the waiting area to wait in the designated driver queue for an airport pickup request. You may receive a Re-Match request during navigation to the waiting lot though a Re-Match is not guaranteed. Airport regulations prohibit loitering in the terminal area. Idling at the curb may result in a citation from airport authorities.
IAD pickup maps
Drivers may wait for ride requests at the designated TNC Waiting Area only. You will not receive an airport request outside of this lot.
Enter the waiting lot at the intersection of Autopilot Drive and Rudder Road Keep in mind that:
Upon entering the waiting lot, you will be placed in the queue for the next trip request
Waiting at terminals or elsewhere on airport property is prohibited and may result in a citation
1. Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and drivers expect. Please remember that drivers who improperly use the app and, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber app.
2. Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport authorities expect drivers to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
3. Identifying your riders: You can check the picture of the rider provided in the app to make sure you've picked up the right person.