Uber Referral Program rules
Terms & Conditions
Last update: 10/03/2018
Thank you for helping to grow the Uber community. From time to time, Uber may invite you to participate in one of its referral programs to encourage people to use an Uber app. Participating in a referral program (either by referring your friends or family or signing up with a referral code) can be a great way for riders, Uber Eats users, driver-partners, delivery partners, restaurants, and fleet partners and drivers, carriers, and other users of Uber apps (collectively "Uber users") to receive Uber credits or earn extra money (each a "Referral Reward").
Uber Referral Program rules (the "Rules") apply to referral programs that are administered solely by Uber, except for the UberDOST app. By accepting and sharing your referral code or by signing up with a referral code, you are agreeing to be bound by these Rules. Any violation of these Rules will not only prevent you from participating in any Uber referral program (now or in the future), but could also result in the forfeiture or retraction of Uber credits, money, or other rewards earned through the program and even the deactivation of your account.
In addition, there may be other terms that apply to your Referral Reward based on the city where you signed up, including what actions you may need to take as well as the type and amount of the Referral Reward. See the additional terms that came with your invitation or those provided in our app or website when you made your referral.
1) Who is eligible to be a referrer/inviter?
Anyone may be a referrer/inviter who (a) is a legal resident of his/her country, (b) is of legal age where they live, and (c) has an Uber account in good standing. Referrers/inviters can be any type of Uber user; however, they cannot have more than one account for each Uber product or service.
2) Who is eligible to be a referee/invitee?
Your friends, family, and other people you know (but not yourself) may be eligible to be referees/invitees. To determine eligibility, keep in mind the following stipulations:
Eligible referees/invitees for those who order services through an Uber app:
To receive a Referral Reward for referring someone who orders services through an Uber app, your referee/invitee must (a) be a new Uber user of that service, (b) meet the conditions Uber has for using the app, and (c) complete the actions required by the specific referral program (i.e. has food delivered or takes a ride arranged through the Uber app).
Eligible referees/invitees for those who provide services through an Uber app:
To receive a Referral Reward for referring someone who provides services through an Uber app, your referee/invitee must (a) not have previously driven, delivered, or applied to drive or deliver with Uber; (b) meet all the conditions Uber has for becoming a driver-partner or delivery partner; (c) use your referral code when they sign up to drive or deliver; (d) complete the specific number of rides/deliveries within the time period specified by the program; and (e) take any other actions required by the specific referral program. Your referees/invitees can be referred only once, so if someone else has referred them and they have accepted that invitation they will not be able to accept yours. In addition, please note that fleet partners cannot earn Referral Rewards for inviting or referring drivers in their fleet.
Referrers/inviters cannot: request themselves as a rider/Uber Eats user, prearrange trips with riders, have someone else drive or deliver for them, create duplicate/multiple accounts, accept trips/deliveries without the intent to complete them, claim false fees or charges, manipulate trip details, or do anything else prohibited by Uber's Improper Use policy found here.
If you are providing Uber with the contact information for your referees/invitees, you represent that you have the right to provide that information.
3) How can I use my referral code?
Uber has the right to limit the number of times you may use or share your referral code based on the referral program in which you participate. To see if your code has a limit, refer to the terms of the specific referral program in which you are participating.
Uber wants you to share your referral code and earn Referral Rewards, but referral codes must be used only for personal and non-commercial purposes. This means that you can share your referral code only with people you know. You agree that you will not:
- Duplicate, sell, or transfer your referral code in any manner or make it available to the general public (such as by printing it on business cards; posting it on a coupon website, job website [or using it as part of a job application], Amazon, EBay, Fiverr, Craigslist, RetailMeNot, Reddit, Wikipedia; or using paid social media or paid search);
- Try to get referees/invitees by spamming, bulk emailing, or sending large numbers of unsolicited emails. The only people you should be emailing are people you know personally;
- Use, display, or manipulate Uber intellectual property (such as Uber's logos, trademarks, and copyright-protected works) in any way, except as to identify yourself as an Uber user, Uber referrer/inviter, or referrer/inviter for Uber;
- Create or register any (i) businesses, (ii) URLs, (iii) domain names, (iv) software application names or titles, or (v) social media handles or profiles that include the word "Uber" or any of Uber's other trademarks or any words that are confusingly similar to Uber's trademarks.
- Use Uber's trademarks as your social media profile picture or wallpaper or use any of Uber's copyright-protected works (such as graphics, photos, images, drawings, and screenshots from Uber's website or app) without Uber's express written permission;
- Purchase keywords (including, but not limited to Google AdWords) that contain any of Uber's trademarks;
- Use automated systems or bots through any channel to distribute, post, or otherwise share your referral code;
- Use scripts or programmed or automatic dialers to send invites or otherwise share your referral code;
- Make misleading claims about Uber, use offensive/abusive content, create fake websites/webpages/social media profiles/apps, misrepresent your connection to Uber, or otherwise make any false or misleading statements to get a referee/invitee to use your code; or
- Use your referral code in any manner that violates the law or the rights of anyone else.
Remember, when you share your referral code, you should explain that you are an Uber referrer.
4) How do I earn my Referral Reward as a referrer/inviter?
Referral Rewards are discretionary and the amount of a Referral Reward and the requirements to get it can vary both by city and within a city. As a result, if your referee/invitee signs up in a city that is different from yours, they may receive a different referral offer than the one stated in your invitation (they may receive the offer available in their sign-up city). That means you might end up with a different Referral Reward than you thought (you may receive the Referral Reward available for the invitee's sign-up city). Please note that although you can invite someone in a different city, you cannot invite anyone in a different country.
Uber reserves the right to set a limit on the number of times you may use your referral code. The requirements for receiving, and the amounts of, Referral Rewards are subject to change at Uber's sole discretion. Referral Rewards in the form of Uber credits are not transferable, have no cash value, and may expire.
5) How can I earn a Referral Reward as a referee/invitee?
For riders and Uber Eats users, referees/invitees may get a discount the first time they use an Uber app. The amount and form of the discount will be shown in their invitation. For drivers and delivery partners, referees/invitees may be eligible for special offers based on the number of trips or deliveries they made after signing up through an invitation. The terms of those offers will be shown in their invitation.
6) Termination and changes
Uber reserves the right to change, end, or pause, in whole or in part, any referral program, as well as any referrer/inviter's or referee/invitee's ability to participate in any referral program or receive Referral Rewards at any time for any reason, including suspected fraud (including by either the referrer and/or referee/invitee), abuse, or any violation of these Rules. If Uber ends any referral program, any unused or unredeemed Referral Rewards may be forfeited at that time, provided we give you 14 days of notice to use or redeem your Referral Rewards.
Uber may update these Rules at any time. If Uber makes an update, Uber will post the update on the Uber.com website and applications and provide you notice of the update. Continued participation in any referral program after any update will mean that you have agreed to the update.