Instructions for drivers
When driving at SBN, learn how to receive these trip requests and get in on the action.
Airport regulations for drivers
Per airport regulations, drivers must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Uber will not pay for any citations that drivers may incur.
- When on airport property, the Driver app must be open at all times (drivers must not go Offline until exiting the airport area)
- There's a special first vehicle in is the first one out (FIFO) system at South Bend International Airport. The FIFO system only works within the designated, geofenced area and drivers waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Driver app.
- Vehicles may not be running while parked in the staging area
- The exterior and interior of vehicles should be clean and presentable
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the experience that both riders and drivers expect. Drivers who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect drivers to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
How pickup requests work
You can receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
The Driver app uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you can enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone”. You should then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, the waiting area is located in the 18 Hour Parking Lot (see map below).
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for drivers or move you closer to the top of the queue.
- If there are no drivers in the FIFO zone, trip requests will go to drivers in the area - outside of the FIFO zone - based on proximity and other factors.
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Driver app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel a ride (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at the airport is curbside, outside of doors C & F. (see map below).
How dropoff requests work
Uber can be a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders can be dropped off at Departures. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterwards, you can keep the Driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
1. Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so it may be helpful to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule: Checking the arrivals schedule at South Bend International Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See SBN ARRIVALS SCHEDULE.
5. Making music optional: While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience.
Notre Dame Campus
To access the Notre Dame campus for pickups and drop offs, follow these simple guidelines.
How to navigate Notre Dame Campus
- Proceed to the Main Gate (Open 24 Hours) or the East Gate (Open 6A-7P)
- Show the security officer your Uber app to prove you have a trip in process
- Proceed to your rider's pick-up or drop-off location
- If you drop off a rider, you may remain on campus to wait for your next request
On game days, you cannot wait in the pictured lot