The Uber Greenlight Hub will be closed 1/20 for MLK Jr. Day.
Information for driver-partners
Learn more about driving at PDX.
Airport Regulations for driver-partners
Per airport regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber Driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go Offline until exiting the airport area)
- We’ve instituted a special queuing system at Portland International Airport. The queue only works within a designated area and driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber Driver app.
- The Uber sticker (trade dress) must always be displayed on the vehicle’s windshield. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber sticker at their local Greenlight Hub
- You may be asked to show your waybill. To access it, tap the “Info” button that appears in your app.
- Smoking is allowed only in designated areas and littering is prohibited.
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
How pickup requests work
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Uber’s technology uses a queuing process. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a specific zone. You will then be placed in a virtual queue, where you'll be able to receive a trip request.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, the waiting lot is located at 8157 NE Air Cargo Road (see map below).
Some things to know about the queue: Proximity to the terminal within the zone does not create an advantage for driver‑partners or move you closer to the top of the queue. If there are no driver‑partners in the zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver‑partners in the area ‑- based on proximity and other factors. You can lose your place in line if: You go offline on your Uber Driver app You drive outside the waiting lot You do not accept multiple the incoming trip requests in a row *You cancel multiple rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at the airport is located on the lower level (arrivals) at the center of Island 2 after the Info Booth. (see map below).
How drop off requests work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders can be dropped off at on the upper level (departures) at the center of the outer roadway. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterwards, you’ll need to keep the Uber Driver app on to maintain your place in the queue.
Re-Match—a feature that may help you get requests faster at the airport—is available at PDX. Re-Match allows driver-partners who just completed an airport dropoff to temporarily receive a pickup request and accept a pickup request without having to enter the airport queue. If a Re-Match trip isn’t received immediately after a dropoff, this means there are no Re-Match trips available and driver-partners should go to the waiting lot if interested in receiving another airport request.
Uber staging lot at the airport
Designated pickup and drop off areas at PDX
Uber users at PDX who request rides will be instructed to meet you at the lower level in the center of island 2, a designated pickup area labeled “Transportation Network Companies.”
To access this area, please stay in the left lane that says "Commercial Vehicles" when entering the lower level. Be sure to use the center-lane to continue to island 2. Riders must be picked up at the center of island 2, in the highlighted area pictured.
For more information, read more about the Portland International Airport.
At PDX, simply drop off riders on the upper level on the outer roadway. It's important to keep the Uber Drive App on until you exit airport property.
To access this area, follow the departures sign to the upper roadway, and use the left most lane (the outer roadway) to enter the "Commercial Vehicles" area. This roadway is just 50 feet from the terminal doors.
Once in this area, pull foward as much as possible so that others can find space along the curb as well.
Please note—The airport may take enforcement action if dropoffs occur outside of the designated area.
Helpful tips for airport trips
1. Getting your car ready
Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage
It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders
Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule
Checking the arrivals schedule at Portland International Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest.
5. Making music optional
While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!