Information for drivers
For driving at LGB, learn how to receive airport trip requests and get in on the action.
Airport regulations for drivers
Per airport regulations, drivers must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that drivers may incur.
- When on airport property, the Driver app must be open at all times (drivers must not go offline until exiting the airport area).
- We’ve instituted a special system at Long Beach Airport. The system only works within the designated area, and drivers waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Driver app unless there are no drivers in the queue.
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield and rear passenger windshield facing outward. Drivers can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub.
- Loitering, circling, or staging at the terminal are not allowed at the airport. Riders must be picked up immediately.
- View more guidelines provided by LGB here.
- It is illegal under state and federal law for anyone, including rideshare drivers, to engage in price fixing. This includes agreeing or coordinating with other drivers (in airport staging lots or elsewhere) on pricing and surge pricing. The law requires that drivers must make decisions about pricing and surge pricing on their own.
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that riders and drivers expect. Please remember that drivers who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect drivers to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
- Accessing your waybill: You may be asked to show your waybill. To access it, tap Waybill in your app.
How pickup requests work
It's easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Uber’s technology uses a queuing system. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area. You will then be placed in a virtual queue.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, the waiting area is located at the corner of N. Lakewood Blvd. and Donald Douglas Drive (see map below).
Some things to know about the queuing process
- Proximity to the terminal within the zone does not create an advantage for drivers or move you closer to the top of the queue
- If there are no drivers in the zone, trip requests will go to drivers in the area—outside of the waiting area—based on proximity and other factors
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Driver app
- You drive outside the waiting area
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel a ride (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at the airport is at the outer island curbside, along Donald Douglas Drive (see map below).
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders can be dropped off at airport terminals, where curbside signs indicate you may safely drop off riders. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Driver app on to maintain your ability to queue.
LGB pickup maps
According to LGB regulations, drivers may wait for trip requests at the designated Staging Lot located at the corner of N. Lakewood Blvd. and Donald Douglas Drive. Waiting for trip requests within airport property is not allowed and could result in a citation. You are responsible for any citations you may receive.
Once you're in the staging lot, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Upon entering the waiting area, you will be eligible for a trip request
- The waiting area has a 30-minute time limit
- If you do not receive a trip request within 30 minutes, exit the lot and re-enter
- If you leave the waiting area or turn off your app, you will be placed at the back of the line
- Once you accept a trip request, meet your rider on the outer island curbside; you may not pick up riders at the curbside directly outside the terminal
How UberPool works at LGB
With UberPool, you can get 2 airport trips when you go to LGB. With pickups just around the corner, you’ll earn money and save a bit of time and gas.
Connecting with your riders
Riders have been asked to request only when they're ready to be picked up curbside. Remember, you could get a fine for loitering.
Moving you forward
The pickup experience was designed with your time in mind. You won’t ever have to circle the terminal for the second pickup—in fact, circling the terminal is prohibited by LGB.
Helpful tips for airport trips
1. Getting your car ready
Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may want to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage
It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders
Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can help ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule
Checking the arrivals schedule at Long Beach Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See LGB arrivals schedule.
5. Making music optional
While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early-morning or late-night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience.